Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, Chip is a 10 year old beagle/basset mix...although he thinks he's a beagle. The vet has informed us that he has a rapid heart rate about 170 per min. and water gain. He is about 39 lbs right now, and has lost 4 lbs int he last two weeks. We have him on Beneful...probably not the best, but with two beagles we have to make a choice somewhere. We are now told that we should put him and our 7 year old on a "homemade" diet. Am just wondering how many of you do this cooking (as my son said, I barely cook for our family, let alone the dogs) But that said, I will do it. Am looking for good recipes, low in salt and easily stored...not too spendy as I am feeding two. Thanks for any help!

LOVE the new site, can't wait to come back and visit more.

Cathy J
cobismom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi, Cathy! Sorry to hear that Chip is having health issues. I expect that there is a home-cooked diet that is specfically designed for dogs with heart problems but I will tell you what I had been feeding my Maggie (who does not have any heart problems but lots of other health issues -- after almost a year of not eating dog food, she is once again eating canned/dry): cooked extra lean ground beef mixed in blender with canned green beans (no added salt), canned carrots (no extra salt), canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), cooked brown rice, plain yogurt and baby sweet potatoes. I would cook up the ground beef and the rice ahead of time and keep them in containers in the frig. Then, when I needed to make a batch of food, would mix everything together in the blender, just until blended. Then I would keep that mix in a container in the frig, at least 3-4 days worth. When serving, I would heat it for a few seconds in the microwave until the chill was gone (personal "dog" preference). I also "barely" cook for myself and work full-time. Cooking for Maggie was quite time-consuming, I found, but we do what we have to do.
Another source is this liver cleansing/weight loss diet (that may well be good for heart issues as well):
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/weight_loss.htm .
Here is an interesting article on heart-healthy diets for dogs:
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/heart-healthy-diet/ .
Hope this is some help to you!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Judy, and Maggie for testing this out for us. We have found in the "week" we have been cooking for Chip, that it's not as consuming as I thought, just have to think things through. Too many green beans means a little loose stools, not too much rice, he doesn't like rice, and bananas aren't always his favorite thing for supper, although he likes mine in a salad. It's like feeding a baby, you try and try, and then about the time you find something he likes, he doesn't like it anymore. AND his poor little bro' Cobi, just doesn't understand why he can't have "mom's" food too. This is another adventure into beagledom.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so the first week went well...maybe too much in his bowl, but he just walks away if he doesn't like the fare for the day. Brocolli is NOT a favorite. Carrots, yams, yummy! But now we have a new problem *** constipation***** are there any home remedies for this? OIL in his food? We used to get diareha from too many vegetables, now he's squatting but poor Chip just can't go. HELP!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Try canned pumpkin. Not pumpkin pie mix. It worked for us when the ladies here recommended it! I think only like a teaspoon or so of it though.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Aliesha. I'll try the pumpkin. Vet recommended some mineral oil, but this sounds easier, and we can use the rest of pudding or something. Bet he'd like it better too. This is like making baby food, too much, too little, doesn't like it. We know one thing for sure, yams don't agree with him, and brocolli is only for eating fresh not cooked. Picky pup. Cathy J

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I don't home cook the dogs' meals, but had to on the occasions Duke has hurt his tummy and the vet put him on a bland diet. I just learned to make up large batches and put them in a container so they'd last a few days.

Sorry to hear about Chips health issues, but it sounds like you're doing a great job taking care of him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts