Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you have experienced Conjestive Heart Failure with your furbabies and I need some advice.

Sherry has a grade 6 heart murmur and heart disease. She is currently on 2 different types of meds. One is to dilate blood vessels and the other is a diuretic.

My vet said that I need to watch her closely for signs of CHF. I've read all the symptoms and they are, lack of appetite, fatigue, weight loss, a bluish ting to the mouth tissue, fluid retention in any area of the body, difficulty breathing after exercise and coughing. She doesn't have any of the symptoms at all except she has started in the last week to cough first thing in the morning.

She doesn't cough at any other time not even after running around in the garden like a puppy.

Is this cough related or something else I should be worried about do you think?

I haven't phoned my vet yet and her next check up appointment isn't for another 5 weeks. I'm thinking that even if the cough is the start of CHF she is already on the correct meds so what else can they do?

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Jennifer,

Coughs can be due to alot of things...CHF, allergies/nasal drip, and asthma/wheezing are some that I can think of.

I would think that if cough is the only sign present...and there are no other signs like pale gums, unusual fatigue, frothy sputum, swollen belly or legs(due to fluid retention) or shortness of breath, especially after exertion...then just close watch would be called for. Clearly you are already doing that.

That's just my opinion as a RN.

When in doubt, call the vet...he may want a chest xray or just want to lay stethescope on her lungs to see if they sound "wet" or listen to her heart to see if there are any changes in how it sounds.

Please keep us posted.

~Denise

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this Denise.

She does bring up a little bit of frothy sputum when she coughs but I didn't realise it was significant.

I'll see how she is this weekend and give the vet a call Monday.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for asking Denise.

She's ok but has still been coughing over the weekend. It is only when she wakes up in the morning and sometimes after I wake her late at night to get her to go outside to potty.

Other than those times she never coughs at all. I've done some reading about CHF and I'm assuming this means that she does have some fluid in her lungs that accumulates when she's asleep. So when she wakes she needs to cough it up. Is this right?

Should I make an appointment at the vets?

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Jennifer,

Being the worrier that I am when it comes to my dogs, I would take her to the vet. Maybe an adjustment on her meds is in order. Better safe then sorry.

Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've already been lol and thanks. Decided that better safe then sorry with my furbabies.

He has prescribed a diuretic called Frusemide. She's got just one weeks supply because he said that will be long enough to see an improvement if that is what's causing the coughing. Then we can carry on giving her them or look further if she is still coughing.

He tried to listen to her lungs but she was breathing too shallow for him to be able to tell. You can't tell a dog to take deep breaths like you can a person can you

I thought she was already on a diuretic but apparantly not. He could do an x-ray or scan etc. to determine how her lungs are but he is reluctant to give her too many anasthetics given her fragile state. She is due a scan in 5 weeks so we decided to leave things as they are until then unless there are any major changes.

Thanks for you help sweetie it's much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Sounds good.

Question...what time does she get her last dose of Lasix (furosemide)? Timing with diuretics is important because nobody wants to be up all night peeing. The earlier the last dose is given, the more rest you and Sherry will get.

If he didn't already, ask him what the earliest is that you can give her last dose.

Keep us posted.

Kisses to little Sherry from Henry and Yodel and I! And one for Rosa just because.....<S>

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's only on one dose a day at the moment which is given in the morning. If he thinks she needs to be increased to 2 doses a day he said the last one can be around 5-6pm which is when I get home from work on the days I work so that will be fine for me.

She had her first dose this morning after a rather bad coughing bout so fingers crossed that it works and makes her more comfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts