Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left this morning to run errands and were gone for a little over an hour.
While we're gone, we always crate JoJo. I don't trust that she wouldn't demolish the house while we're gone.
Several months ago, we tried leaving her out for a short 10 minutes while we walked my daughter to school. Just in those 10 minutes, she'd chewed a pile of papers I had out to sort through. Came home to shredded paper everywhere.

Upon our arrival back home today, I saw she'd chewed through 3 bars on her crate. She'd bent them far enough they popped off where they're molded together. Two are bent so far I can't rebend them to their correct position without finding a tool to do it.

Any suggestions on how to stop this?
She's always licked the one corner of her crate while we're out, but just recently has started chewing the bars. And now this.

I worry if we take the family to do something fun and are gone for 4-5 hours, she'll chew her way out and get into something she shouldn't (thus hurting herself).

·
Registered
251 Posts
hmmm...tricky one....

Do you leave her with a chew toy? If she just wants to chew then that could help...maybe a tasty bone?

An idea that popped in my head was to try crating her, but staying home, out of sight, and when she chews squirt her with water. Or you could try coating the bars with something un palatable (bitter apple or tabasco?)

I hope you can figure this one out! I have no real experience help to offer...sorry...those ideas are just what I would try if Rocky were to do that. Good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is given chew toys, and sometimes we'll give her a kong filled with pb and treats.

What's weird is that this is new. She's always been fine before, aside from licking the corners a ton (but we figured that was a JoJo quirk).

Water squirting won't work, as she's VERY afraid of the squirt bottle and it makes her stress colitis flare up.

I'll have to look some something for the bars. But my suspicions tell me that I'd have to coat EVERY SINGLE BAR.

Just when the other training is going so well, she starts this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We put the puppies in travel kennels, and they have never tried to chew their way out of them. I don't know what kind of crate you use. Perhaps a picture would help?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a standard all-wire crate.
I took pictures yesterday when I saw it, I'll have to resize them to post them.

We had to go out again last night, were gone for about an hour (again) and came home to her being able to poke her head through the bars. She'd bent them so far apart and pulled them back.

We have absolutely no idea how to contain her. If she's left out on her own, she will demolish everything she can.
I swear she's got teeth of steel and beagle determination!

So we're stuck today not going out anywhere....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted By: Quinn&GraysonHave you tried the traveling kennels?
The plastic ones?

I worry that if she can chew through metal, plastic would be like butter to her.
Plus, they're not as see-through as the metal one, and that REALLY freaks her out when she can't see. Sets off the anxiety.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I have to leave Corey longer then I'm comfortable leaving him in the crate I section off a portion of the house. Is that possible? Just not even worrying about the crate? I suggest not a room with a door, as Corey used to be left in the bathroom and one day while I was at work he nearly tore through the door, only about 1/8 of an inch left to it. I have sheets of plexi glass that I use for the ferrets, but he also stays out of the cats' room with kiddy gates, though I have to double stack them.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally Posted By: gnomeWhen I have to leave Corey longer then I'm comfortable leaving him in the crate I section off a portion of the house. Is that possible? Just not even worrying about the crate?
I was thinking the same thing, as this is what we did with Cole.
We left him in the kitchen in a pen type enclosure that worked wonderfully, he had his little bed, some toys and was safe and happy there until we got home.
I would try this out when you are home but out of sight for awhile to see if he escapes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My thought is that the see-through metal crates have more that she can wrap her mouth around. As far as I've noticed, the puppies can't get their mouths around the plastic kennels, as Grayson has tried many times...lol

·
Registered
605 Posts
How much exercise does JoJo get? Henry boy is very well behaved, but the first year I had him, I had to keep him totally exhausted from runs, hikes, swimming, bike rides, you name it, to keep my house in one piece. Nowadays he only gets about an hour of structured exercise or play time a day, but I gotta keep him busy lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts