Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marbles was our new addition to the Beagle family last November. He is 1 yr 4 mo...he is INSANE!!

I cannot control him firt off....'NO' Means nothing....spray with water...Means nothing...Bitter spray, tastes GOOD....
Pats on the bun or nose...NOTHING....This dog is like Superdog on Seroids..

We walk him and Snoopy 4-6 times a day, if less, we put them in day care, and at the dog park often to run off energy

Marbles is 15 inches, but a bit chubby...he has a belly and is 33 pounds...Nothing like Snoopy who is 16 inchesand 35 lbs and looks sleek and in shape. Such different body types!!

Marble is NON STOP...Im trying to limit treats b/c he is a bit heavy..all he wants to do is EAT EAT EAT..he is insane...he goes after everything....he almost chokes on treats b/c he eats so fast...he seriously cannot stop!!!

So we thought it may be a vitamin deficiency and now we are giving him supplimental vitamis, still is Insane!

WE get toys for him...they last 15 mins, then over...he wants the 'squeaker' ..and he gets it, I take it away of course, and he is bored....i have to take away the squeeker b/c what if he choked on it???

Kongs are great...but they go through them in 5 mins...more calories for them and only 10 mins of entertainment!!

Im not sure what else to do for Marbles...he is biting me, and Snoopy, too Hard and is breaking skin on me...I hod him down tell him NO he complies, but then goes back into it...

Any Advice?

Manda
Any advice?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds tough, Beaglina was never that extreme but I can relate to superdog levels of energy and she was pretty chewy too. I remember someone telling me that 18 months is when they start calming and although I didn't really notice it at the time, when she hit 2 I suddenly realised that (as well as being supercute and fun) I actually had a really NICE dog too! So, he'll get there...

Also, I know that you are giving him plenty of exercise but maybe you could think about changing the type to see if that makes any difference, how about swopping a couple of shorter walks for one more strenuous one, or Beaglina loves coming out with me on my bike as she gets a proper run which really tires her out. Finally, when she was misbehaving, what I found worked best for Beaglina was ignoring her, she's a real pack dog and hates being excluded - if she got seriously chewy the baby gate went up.

Hope you find something that works for you and Marbles! By the way, just wondering - is he top dog with Snoopy?

·
Registered
193 Posts
What type of food and treats do you feed Marbles?
One of my Bassets was like Tigger on speed until I stopped giving him anything with colouring or additives.All his food and treats are hypoallergenic and additive free and it really made a difference.
Even now if I give him one treat with colouring in he reacts.
You could also try Clicker training him and make his brain work which should help with his energy levels.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sounds as if Marbles thinks he is boss of your pack. You have to turn it around that you, your hubby and then Snoopy should lead and Marbles take the role of bottom of the pack.
Have you considered having a dog trainer come to the house You could then learn what you are doing wrong.
Meanwhile a lot of execise should help, do you jog? Or cycle?
Make sure you leave or enter a room before Marbles. Feed him last.When he's biting, say NO, turn your back on him and leave the room. Try ignoring him until he calms down.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Puppy Kindergarden or some sort of dog training class. You can even hire a trainer to come to your home. We had a few at home sessions with a dog trainer and learned a lot. Also after our Puppy Kindergarden classes we were able to call the teacher for advise. She gave wonderful advise. The good thing about a dog trainer that you can call, is you get re-assurance in person and you can ask questions and get advise personalized for your little fella.

Our Sadie was and is still at age 8 a wild little girl. Yes, she has calmed a lot over the years. No meant nothing to her. Nothing would hurt her feelings. Nothing would stop her from being bad. She used to jump up and grab food from our dinner plates. Chewed up everything in her reach. I think some Beagles are just higher energy than others. She has the neatest personality though. Pooh Bear was wild when young, but now he is a couch pototoe at age 8.

Do you have a Dog Day care around? We took ours to Dog Day care when they were little. They loved it and had a blast and come home exhuasted and happy. We took them twice a week from a few months to a year old. The 2 nights after dog day care were a rest for us humans as the doggies were happy and exhuasted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts