Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I think this is the last, but very important issue with Marbles..

He chews, and chews, and chews...sure he should, he is only 10 months...but seriously, he used to just chew what we gave him, now he is getting way worse

So he started out loving toys since he never had them, and was occupied with them very well.

Then started looking around for other things...so we got more variety...good for a while...then worse again...then more variety..and now it is the worse ever.

He is NOW at 10 months chewing wires, boxes, the carpet, EVERYTHING in site...he is just now doing this...I have so many toys, treats, pig ears, ect ....

I have to get up every 1 minute to just pull him away from things.

"NO" doesnt work....."water bottle" doesnt work...."throwing toy at him" doesnt work...I have to literally get up and yell...then he stops..the second I sit down...there he goes, back at the same thing again...Im exhausted and cant get anything done..

Ive been on line to BeagleWorld for like 2 hours now posting what I could have done in 15mins b/c of going after him..

Im sure he isnt hungry...see other post...he just needs to chew, and I have...soft toys, balls, pig ears, compressed raw hides, kongs....he loses interest and just keeps chewing on wires and everything else.

OH in the last 3 weeks...2 of my computer wires torn..one cost $100, the other $50, then the lamp wire torn off...the bedside table ruined (cost of $600) the other one with scratches...AND we never leave him alone without the crate..this is things he does while we are trying to watch him....turn away for a second and something else is torn up!!

When will this end??? Any ideas?

Manda, Snoops, and Marbles

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We had the same issues. I finally learned that nothing can be at ground level and that the best way to watch him was to make his world smaller by gating off the hallway and limiting his access. That way, I could watch him all the time and if I saw him going after something, I'd clap my hands or shake the newspaper to make noise and get him to stop. There were even times when he was really young that I'd put him in his leash and make him stay right next to me until he would behave.

He can still take down a magazine in 2 seconds flat, but finally, about a month ago, he started getting better about it and he has really been good lately. Maybe because he's getting older, or maybe because the weather has been so beautiful that we open the slider and let the dogs go in and out of the back yard and Duke stays out there and plays. He also finds sticks to chew on, but I'd rather he chew that wood than the wood on my china hutch (been there, done that).

Another thing we've found really does work wonders is to wear him out with a really long walk in the evenings. Or on the weekends, first thing in the morning. An hour or more and it makes him much sleepier later in the day. Like they say, a tired beagle is a good beagle.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Amanda,

I don't mean to compare apples and oranges but when my (human) son was a toddler, it was way worse then when he was a baby. He was mobile and curious and messy and could be destructive if he wasn't watched closely. Then one day he grew out of it.

As I was reading about Marbles, that was all I could think of...he's a toddler and the best thing we could do was like Zookeeper said...gate him off and pull our hair out while we watched him like hawks.

Fingers crossed that Marbles will pass through this stage quickly.

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Hi Manda!
I felt compelled to add my two cents, since Maggie just turned three, and my life is now more sane.

Dogs hit puberty around one year old (according to my dog obedience instructor), so expect MORE bad behavior rather than less. That being said.....THINGS WILL GET BETTER! I promise.

Between 8 months and 18 months, I thought I'd strangle Maggie more than once..... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hyper.gif When she tore a hole in my $1000 dollar mattress while I took time for a shower, I thought I'd never forgive her (or myself for trusting her for 15 minutes).

I'd give the same advice as above. Baby gates and closed doors are the answer. Constant vigilence will eventually do the trick.....and teaching Marbles the 'leave it' command will help. That was the first command Maggie learned /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif I gave her treats and the 'good girl' voice when she listened.....and she got a soft swat on the behind if she went back to the same place again (by the way, I didn't use my hands to swat her, I used a fly swatter which sat on my desk for months). When she was really little, I kept a short leash on her and gave her the same corrections she got in obedience class.....firm jerk on the leash....enough to get her attention.

Just like Gingergoose said....you have a loving, but rebellious child on your hands. CONSISTENCE will eventually work.

Good Luck.....you've done such a wonderful job with Snoopy, and I'm sure Marbles will turn into a well behaved young man with love and patience (and a well deserved glass of wine for mom now and then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...I guess this is what it is like raising a puppy..hehe...

I have just recently gated off an area to the kitchen and the office and door area...this has helped a lot..

but now he just walks around looking to get into things and chew...will even chew the carpet....but there are digestable bones and pig ears and toys everywhere...he just gets so bored with them.

I know things will get better...just trying to keep my sanity and keep him happy and entertained!!

Thanks again

Manda, Snoops, Marbles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.