Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Molly seems to have cherry eye
She had the inflammation when we adopted her and the vet gave us some drops but I think it is definately cherry eye. Has anyone had any success treating it without surgery? My first beagle had to have it operated on to remove it. Poor little Molly.

You can see it in this picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It supposedly doesn't hurt them and if the drops work to soothe it then I would put off surgery. I do however know that the surgery also seems to work. My sister just had to have her new little Bugg's eye done. How old is Molly? Has she already been spayed? If not, the vet's prefer to do it during another operation such as a spay. Good luck to you and that picture is just gorgeous. Cherry Eye and all.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Molly is about 3 (not sure but the vet guesses she is about that age). She has been spayed already. I would rather put off the surgery too, I just worry that she will poke if with her back nails or something. She has a vet appt in February for her annual so I can see if there are different drops to try.

Thanks for the picture compliment, I always smile when I hug my babies

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sally had cherry eye in both eyes when she was picked up as a stray. The shelter did the surgery before we adopted her. We also had another dog who developed it.

I'd get the surgery done ASAP, for the following reasons:
1. It will need to be done eventually -- cherry eye will not resolve itself;
2. Eyelid will irritate the dog --> scratching --> infection;
3. Once it's fixed, it's fixed.

The surgery itself is not expensive, as surgeries go, probably well under $300.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Molly will see the vet next month so I can talk to her about the surgery. Poor Molly, she is so terrified of everything, I hate to put her thru that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello, my beagle Melissa had the prolapse of the third eyelid, as called here as Brazil.

She was playing with my other beagle and suddenly the ball jumped eye.

I ran to the veterinarian. He said he would need surgery to replace the lid in place, but two days later, just as we left, she returned to normal.

No needed surgery, thank God. But the veterinarian said that any time it appears again and may need surgery to replace.

It is a very common problem in beagles. They say that in some cases, only addresses the use of eye drops.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far the vet thinks that the eye drops will help her so we can avoid surgery for now. I just have to be more diligent about putting the drops in twice a day (bad mommy forgets sometimes)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts