Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every time i try to put diesel outside or in his kennel or any time i need to grab him to make sure he is with me he runs... he thinks it a game and he runs from table to table hiding under them... it is hard especially in the morning when i go to work cause i end up having to chase him all over the place...

any ideas on how to get him to stop???

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Basically STOP chasing him. The more you chase the more he will run. It's a fun game isn't it!!...can I play too :hi:

Seriously, try to get him to come to you rather than the other way round. Use treats and praise when he comes and don't always put him outside or in his kennel as soon as he does or he will avoid you.

Practice him coming to you in the house when you don't need to confine him so that when you do he will come voluntarily.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm with Jennifer. You can also play with him the same game, but when he chases you. Call him and start running away from him, and he will chase you. Then stop and praise him, give him a treat. He will eventually learn that when you call him, he comes to you.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Yup, never chase him because that is exactly what he wants. Same thing if they get loose in public, they say never chase them, turn the other way and run. Most times the dog will run towards you to see where you are going because you might be doing something more fun. (I have never personally tried this so I am not sure if it actually works). You want him to realize that coming to you is the right thing to do and that good things happen when he does.

·
Registered
751 Posts
sorry but the key is - never chase them. Command/train that they "come" to you. To get him interested at first, since his reaction is to run, call him "come" in the sweetest tone you can, and treat him with something when he comes. Won't take him long to get the hang of it. He can chase you in a game, but never chase him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts