Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am sorry I do not post often ....well, almost never so far /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
but I do read your posts every day. I have been super busy with life with TWO crazy beagles and Erin my 3 yr old. Rocky and Daisy are growing like weeds and the color changes are amazing to watch. I still need to post pictures. Soon.... promise /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Rocky is a love, a doll, a touch nosy but such a good boy. Daisy is the devil!!! OH MY GOD! She is the nosiest, sneakiest, quickest dog I have ever seen...well, ever. :freak: I am learning to keep the chairs away from the table or she is on the table. I learned I CANNOT do my paperwork on the dining table if I'd like to keep it in order. The trash can MUST go in the laundry room. The toilet paper is NOT safe on the roller thingy. :rotflmao: Dirty clothing is NEVER left on the floor anywhere. Erin's toys are not existent anymore in any recognizable form /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif (I told her so!!! lol)
Okay, so you all get the picture. Life has been very interesting as these monsters grow. The crate is my new best friend, my sanity. Still, I love them both dearly and wouldn't trade them for the world!! Insane, I know. How do/did you guys deal with the first year?? Is there anyone who hasn't had to refurnish their homes?? I mean I was kinda excited about getting a new table (since the base got chewed up) when they guys are older but I'm thinking it might add up to more $$$ and I'll need a 3rd job. Ay Yi Yi Would love to hear your tricks and advice. BTW, I do crate when I am gone now :toofunny:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Daisy sounds like a typical Beagle pup. I went through many of the same things with Jersey. I used to call her my little Jersey Devil (there's an urban legend about a monster that haunts the woods in New Jersey called the Jersey Devil. Oh, and a hockey team too). :evilgrin: She was horrible. Nothing was safe. I kept my ironing board up for close to a year straight, just to have a safe place to keep stuff that was out of Beagle reach. The trash cans in the bathrooms are on top of the toilet tanks, we don't keep toilet paper on the rller thingy (still at 2 1/2 we can't do that!), I can't tell you how many pieces of laundry were lost to Jersey. Luckily, she never chewed the furniture. She did chew the vertical blinds and the rug though. I didn't have to refurnish the house, but I did have to restock my shoe collection. We also lost DVD's (Blockbuster will not charge you as long as the DVD is in tact, even if the case is unrecognizable), CD's, pens, markers, books, magazines, towels, pot holders, the power cord to the vacuum, the wires to two Xbox controllers (we eventually went wireless), a phone cord and an Ethernet cable. I moved everything off the bottome shelves of my book cases. I could go on and on and on and on..... :freak:

Advice? Well, you're already using the crate so that's a huge help. Bitter Apple worked well for us until Jersey grew accustomed to the taste. I've heard of using cayenne pepper, but we never tried it. My best suggestion is to start doing obedience with them. That helped us a lot. The only other advice is to keep everything you don't want chewed out of Beagle reach. Baby gates were a God send around here.

Good luck! It gets better, I promise. We need some pictures!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that quick reply. You're almost as quick as Daisy Head. I call her the devil dog too. You know, I am really liking what you said about the ironing board and I will try the bitter apple. Don't know if I'd try the pepper or not, but good info to have. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
A tired puppy is a good puppy! Exercise, exercise, exercise! If you have a fenced yard or a safe area for her to run, it will help a lot, 'cause most hunting dogs love to run. I would go the obedience route as well since teaching her to walk politely on a leash will open up a new world of 'adventures' for her.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sorry had to laugh and at your message Jen. Yes, we have been through all that. Not with Susi and Snoopy as they were 5 years old when we got them, but out first beagle, Bilbo was a real terror. We took out an insurance policy as she was forever stealng peoples things and chewing them up. Bilbo was the only beagle we allowed to run free and she would go off into the village and steal toys, socks, rugs and food. Once she came in with a breaded schnitzel someone must have been planning to grill, another time she came into the garden backwards dragging a freshly washed bathroom rug, but worst of all she once came home with a rabbit and ate all but its head, which she buried in a neighbours garden. Bilbo would suddenly fall asleep and just as suddenly wake up and race around the house looking for trouble.
Our second beagel, Spotty didnt have the freedom but nothing at beagle level was safe from her, including a whole camenbert cheese, which she stole in a French restaurant.
The only thing you can do is make sure nothing is in reach and crate train them when you are out. I agree obedience training would be good.

we've been zinged

·
Registered
230 Posts
Been there, done that!
To echo earlier posts, work on obedience, keep them tired, and continue using the crate. There's a lot of work turning some of these rambunctious puppies into well-behaved adults, but it pays off handsomely.

We've lost any number of things to Lucy and Flora (mostly small and cheap), but now that they are older, they don't chew nearly as much. Wait a while before replacing the table, and you'll probably be fine.

Of course, older also means more experienced (read, devious). Not only is nothing on the dining table safe, no food on the kitchen counter is safe, either. I think they operate their tongues like frogs, and have learned to use the stepstool (I'm short and need it constantly). Lucy and Flora really blew it when they started stealing the kids' snacks from their hands -- I'm sure they were negotiating help in opening the refrigerator. Now they are banned from the kitchen when food is out, unless called for "clean-up" duty. Toddler spills are SO easily dealt with when you have beagles!

Sylvia

·
Registered
983 Posts
I too have a devil dog we like to call Casey aka Satan. Lol we seriously thought she had a case of puppy A.d.d !! taking her to puppy class and agility class helped a lot. It seemed to give her focus.Like the dog whisperer says "Excersize, discipline affection" hee hee hee

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh yeah, you are preaching to the choir! Duke is my little heathen. Like Dave (hubby) and I were saying last night, he is good 90% of the time, but the 10% when he is bad, he is really bad and so dang fast!

I can go out to the garage for 10 seconds and come back in and the towel on my oven is gone and the kitchen rug is in the family room. Trash cans must be behind doors or up high, closet doors are closed, bathroom doors are closed and our entire front living room is now gated off.

We have noticed a slow down now that he is nearing 10 months old, but we know some things will never change. Luckily, we adore the little heathen and can't imagine our home without him. Yes, he is the devil, but he has the personality of an angel (we always tell him he's lucky he's so cute!).

Good luck with your devil.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jeffmeden:
Quote: Blockbuster will not charge you as long as the DVD is in tact, even if the case is unrecognizable
:rotflmao:

I can just imagine the look on the clerk's face... "Have you tried regular food, ma'am?"
They were actually very understanding. I guess it must happen often. Their only stipulation is that you can't just leave it in the drop box. You have to bring it in to the store and tell them what happened. I was more than happy to do that if it meant not having to pay for the movie.

·
Registered
509 Posts
lol there are some really funny story's there.

Glover is only allowed in the tiled are of our house, there isn't much to chew there but if my hubby leaves his socks on the floor they don't stay long..

Outside Glover just digs and chews all plants and trees, we don't have a back garden anymore lol just a front garden..

I hate to think what he would do if Id let him in the living room...

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
In three years, Maggie has managed to chew carpet, furniture and a LONG list of both replacable and irreplacable things!! She recently chewed up my boyfriend's business appointment book which held a year's worth of appointments, an entire address/phone list, etc etc......(Ed still uses pencil and paper, not a computer or digital appointment book)....needless to say, it was a test of our relationship. Maggie never knew how close she came to the end of life.....and Ed won my undying love at how graciously he handled the loss.

Loving a beagle is an exercise in patience. Good thing I raised children first, it prepared me for this four-legged-devil who has stolen my heart.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Going through it right now! Bailey is 4 months and gets into everything! You can't leave anything on the floor unless it's ok for him to chew on. And now for some reason he's starting to lick everything. I mean EVERYTHING. The couch, the kitchen floor, my feet, my hands, my arms, the carpet, the wall, the floor in his crate. And when we eat dinner or any meal of any kind, we have to put him in his crate because he doesn't beg for food, he just tries to take it. We had to change our laundry hampers form ones that sat on the ground to tall ones because he would pull out random clothes ans run through the house with them and chew on them.

Oh and one day, he peed on my husband's uniform pants.

He's called "the beast" in our house.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did I have to refurnish my home? LOLOLOL

At 3 mos, Angel chewed the intake water hose in the upstairs master bathroom while we were at work...in the morning. By the time I got home it had "rained" all the way to the basement, the water did 10's of thousands of dollars worth of damage. We had to replace all the sheetrock in our family room, laundry room, kitchen, my daughters bedroom in the basement, not to mention all ceiling lights, kitchen cabinets and carpet...that was 4 years ago, .....i even let her live, lol.
2 years ago she ran between my feet as I was walking downstairs, while trying to avoid stepping on her, I slipped down the stairs, landed first on the side of one foot, breaking that bone and then the other slid under me and i landed on it breaking my other foot also. Had to have a plate put in one foot and pins in the other and was in a wheelchair for 5 months...again, I let her live! Rin Tin Tin, my beagles are not, none of them came back to help me!
She is the princess of our house and is currently sleeping with dear hubby on my pillow (heaven forbid I try to move her) while my boys, Kota and Chief are in hubby's recliner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts