Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Thursday we're bringing Chase in to get neutered. I know a lot of people has went through this before so I was curious to know what should I expect after...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You should basically expect him to jump all over the place!

Seriously, they bounce back to quickly your head will spin. The girls go through a more "serious" procedure, and they tend to get back to their old selves in 3-4 hours, so the boys - you can imagine.

After the surgery he will be a little "stoned", might not drink or eat (drinking is more important, obviously), but other than that, just keep him from nipping on the sutures.

Good luck, Chase!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
He may be lethargic for a while... or not. It depends on the beagle. They do bounce back VERY quickly. Just be sure he isn't allowed to lick the incision area. That could cause an infection. Cone him if you must.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I remember Lucky was only out of it the day of then he was running around like nothing happened. I did have to make sure he didn't bother his incision area. The shelter he came from took him to his surgery for me and then brought him home that day. He came home covered in poop because he pooped in his crate on the way home and had rolled in it! What a treat for me! :pukey:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm wondering how things will go in our household next week. Both Spock and Bones are getting fixed on either Monday or Tuesday (it's overdue for Spock, who is 9 months and intact, and Miss Bones is about to ding 7 months herself), and they already play so rough with one another, I'm afraid of the possibility of infections and them not playing gently with one another after surgery. Are we going to have 2 puppies with collars?

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Pooh Bear, our male Beagle was neutered at age 4. He did just great. He moped around for a few days afterwards. But did just fine. I think the younger they are when they have this done, the faster they bounce back.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Most of my boys are fine as soon as they wake up. Vet always says to keep them "quiet" for a couple of days! Yeah right! Only way to keep them quiet is to crate them. The procedure for males is much easier and less invasive than for females. Takes the little girls longer to recuperate, but Chase should be fine in no time. No roughhousing though for a while!
Big hugs to that beautiful little boy!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for answering my question. I was a little concerned about him messing with that area. I'm sure I'm going to have to cone him or something. Sheesh!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue was four months when we had his done and he was quite the trooper. Our vet provided a cone when he picked him up and we did put it on him when we weren't around to watch him. He was very clingy when we picked him up, of course this is the dog that freaks out when you walk up to the car in the garage so he wasn't looking forward to the ride home either. He was hungry and very happy once we got home but hated his cone!! We purchased one of the inflatable, "indestructible" collars at Petco because his cone didn't fit in his kennel very well. It should come with a warning that a Beagle will figure out how to remove and destroy the inflatable collar within three days of brining it home!! Good thing he was passed the licking stage!! I only noticed him going for his stitches once and it was right before we had them removed.

This is a picture of him right after we got home, doesn't look too traumatized now does he??

·
Registered
48 Posts
We had Boomer fixed at 6 or 7 months and he bounced back fine. I was very nervous but he came running out of the vet's office and bounced up to see me. We thought for sure we'd have to cone him, but he really didn't bother the stiches at all. If anything, you might want to tie a t-shirt around his belly/bottom half to make sure he doesn't but you might not need to. Keeping him calm for a few days was a challenge but as long as he's not jumping off furniture all crazy or rough housing, he should be just fine. Getting the stitches out was a cinch too!

·
Registered
443 Posts
:animal18: Yep, the general rule of thumb seems tp be keep them quiet for 7-10 days - DON'T THANK SO unless they are in their crate 24/7 except for potty breaks on a leash. Oh, that is another thing - they can be WALKED for a short distance on leash - aren't we talking about Beagles here? Now I know if either of my Beagles pick up a scent, they aren't gonna walk to follow it. But, I do limit the activity as much as I can. Shasta was just spayed a week ago - she is 16 months old - I waited because I was showing her with the slim chance I might breed but decided against it after much thought. Shiloh was neutered at 10 months after he grew beyond 15 inches - he's a little over 16. The main thing is to make sure he doesn't bother the incision site. But both Shiloh and Shasta are doing fine and thankfully the "7-10 days" are about over cause she LOVES to roughouse with her brother.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts