Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had Charlie for a few weeks now. I can't tell if he is a beagle or not. Maybe you can help me decide. For example, he rarely barks let alone howls. I had to point out a rabbit nest in our backyard as he kept walking right past it. He won't chase squirrels or birds and shows mild interest when he sees a bunny. He usually lets the cats eat part of his food before he will eat. He kennels when I ask him. And even more perplexing since he's a male, he takes an incredible amount of time before he will do his business outside. These are all foreign traits to this former GSD and Lab owner.

Now in his favor, he certainly looks the part of a beagle. He's a handsome devil. He is beyond sweet and loving. I've never owned a dog that I've wanted to hug as much as this one. He's extremely deft at stealing food from the kids and the counter. Not to mention he is teaching the kids to keep their stuffed animals safe. He can dance on his hind legs like nobody's business and he's quick as a cat when he wants to be. On our walks he could care less what I want to do. He has smells to smell, and roll in, and will move along at his pace, not mine.

Does this sound like a typical beagle? Of course I write this half in jest and with a smile on my face as none of this bothers me. Except how much time it takes him to do his business. That part is frustrating when you're late getting the kids to school and getting to work on time.

But, I'm amazed at how he's integrated himself into our family with very little stress. He is a perfect gentlemen with the kids and his playful side is slowly creeping out. We feel so fortunate that we took a chance on this rescue and it is paying off. What a great little guy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. Charlie is a very handsome beagle! His personality reminds me of my first beagle, Benny. He had all the good beagle characteristics and none of the bad. My beagle Molly takes forever picking her pee spot. Just try to keep an eye out that Charlie isn't straining or having a hard time going pee or poo.

Yes, beagles tend to do their own thing on walks! I keep their leashes short until we arrive at the park, it helps to keep them moving forward.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Beagle World. Charlie is a very handsome beagle! His personality reminds me of my first beagle, Benny. He had all the good beagle characteristics and none of the bad. My beagle Molly takes forever picking her pee spot. Just try to keep an eye out that Charlie isn't straining or having a hard time going pee or poo.

Yes, beagles tend to do their own thing on walks! I keep their leashes short until we arrive at the park, it helps to keep them moving forward.
Thanks, he has no problem going once he finally decides to. :) We really are having a lot of fun with him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After looking at his picture, I would say 100% Beagle. Congratulations on having such a fine dog for a companion.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that his behavior lacks some typical beagle traits. I wouldn't miss the barking and baying at all. We spend a major portion of time with Lucky trying to get him to be quite -- without much success I might add. Welcome to BW...your Charlie is adorable and looks 100 percent Beagle to me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hello welcome to the forum. Charlie is so adorable, can't wait to see the next adventure of Charlie. I'm looking forward to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts