Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blamed myself for this, I should have known, or at least change my plan.
It is rather a long story, but I'd like to vent so please bear with me.
We were ready for our once a year vacation, all four of us, my two daughters. I have tried this kennel before and had no problem, it is behind a vet hospital runs by the hospital. So I called a month ahead reserved a spot for Charlie for 10 days.
To start with, the day I drop off Charlie, I had a bad experience already, but too late my flight was the next morning. What happened was, I brought Charlie's crate which I did last time with no problem. This time this tough woman came out from inside, she was not pleased with the crate thing. She said very rudely, we have beds here! So I tried to explained that it is his security blanket, he must have it, and I had no problem last time. Then she tried to loop Charlie in. Charlie didn't like it, so I said why don't you take my leash. She said, then I have to come back out again! She finally agreed with a huff, then gave Charlie a jerk on the leash pulling him hard. I didn't like it already. The receptionist saw it too, she apologized for her said she is in a bad mood. I then went out to the parking lot to get Charlie's food. A nurse came out with a business card of the hospital manager. She apologized to me again and said if I have concern not to hesitate to call this number. Which I did left an email because I had no time to call. I had no reply from this hospital manager.
Little did I know it was the beginning of a nightmare!
Came back on a Friday night, pick up Charlie at around 9:30am Saturday. He came out walking slowly, that didn't look like Charlie. Back to the car, half way on the road, he vomitted pretty bad. I made a note that I'll take him to the doctor if he continues. That day we had to go check on our younger daughter who was all shaken up, she had a car accident, she is ok, but the car was damaged. We stayed with her till late. I had Charlie in the garage. If the car accident didn't happen I would have taken Charlie to the doctor and wouldn't have stay out so late.
Came home found Charlie really really sick, vomit and also having a bad diarrhea. Took him to the ER right away, we stayed for hours there. Doctor diagnose him with hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, a long long name that I do not understand. But he tried to explained it me very carefully. Which I know it is very serious, he was serverly dehydrated, needed to be treated ASAP with IV drip and a 24 hours watch! So he stayed all night and a whole Sunday. Came home Sunday evening, all tired stress out still on medication, lost a lot of weight.
So, I'm stress and in pain watching him suffer, and angry. I guess more to myself. But they (kennel) should have call the emergency number which I provided then I can at least have the doctor look at him. I tried calling the hospital manager, left a message, no reply!
Should I just leave it and not going back again. My mom is mad, she told me to sue them! I don't know.
Thanks for listening.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, Rhoda, what an awful experience for you, (and Charlie)!
Good thoughts for a quick and complete recovery are winging their way to Charlie.

It was inexcusable for the woman at the boarding kennel to be so rude, and the emergency contact should certainly have been called when Charlie got sick! I'd insist on speaking with the hospital manager. If you can't get satisfaction, I'd, at the very least, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

·
Registered
865 Posts
That is just terrible. Is his illness something he picked up from the kennel, like a virus? It kinda sounds like it. If so, I would definitely file a complaint and let every dog owner you know about the experience - two fold - it doesn't happen to a friend and word of mouth about a poorly run business.

As for the rude woman, you are paying for the stay. If Charlie wants his crate, then Charlie gets his crate! I can't believe she was so rude.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is definitely unacceptable. I have always been afraid to leave my dogs somewhere when we go on vacations, and so far we have been lucky to always get family or close friends that we really trust to watch ours.

·
Registered
991 Posts
No matter how bad her mood, she should not have been allowed to take it out on poor Charlie! Totally unacceptable! How is Charlie doing? My first though was he did not get sick while being boarded, they made him sick! I think your next avenue should be to call (or write) whatever state board licenses this facility. If it is owned or connected to the Vet Hospital it should be a simple matter. Even if they say nothing can be done make sure you can file a written letter that will go into the file. Poor Charlie, I feel so bad for him.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am so sorry this happened to you and to Charlie. I definitely think you should complain to the manager and whatever other authorities regulate boarding kennels in your area. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks you all.
Charlie is feeling much better, began to play his favorite toys, I stayed home 2 days in a roll to nurse him, medicine and food, hand fed him.
Finally, I called again, traced down the hospital manager whom I never got reply from. She explained that she has been in a conference. The email I asked her to resent, it went into SPAM, and I never checked there. She explained that the kennel chart shows Charlie has been fine, she checked on Charlie herself after reading my email of my first concern, no alarm was taken, therefore no need to report to the vet. She said Charlie stayed in his crate most of the time, she had to coax him out to play. Usually the vet will check on them when there is problem. Asked me to fax over the reports from the emergency center which I did. She was on her way leaving the office and will get back to me tomorrow. Hopefully she will.
I wouldn't know what will happen next. My family mom and my sister are not happy about it. Of course I'm not too, but kennel stress is very common, I'm just not happy that they did not notify me. I will probably look around for boarding in a private home and not a kennel setting, and a trustful one. I have at least a whole year to do my research. If I travel with my husband, my daughters can look after Charlie. Only once a year we do a longer trip as a family.
I'll keep you folks posted, thanks for your support.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sorry Charlie is sick but it's good he's feeling better. Someone owning kennels looking after pets should be more caring than that lady sounds. It shouldn't be a job but a love. I recall a kennel we sent out 2 beagles to once said she did it for the love of dogs , sadly she had to retire as we really trusted that lady for the odd times we have to use them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wow.. that is terrible.

If it were me and mine, I would walk in with the ER bill and ask very loudly... WHAT THE #$%! DID YOU DO TO MY DOG? Making sure everyone can hear it. Demand the owner (screw the manager) and not be shuffled off to an office. They should cover the bill and refund the boarding cost. And then notify the SPCA and Humane Society.

Yes, I can be a vengeful bastard.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm with Joe!!! You should demand reimbursement for the vet bills and also a refund for the boarding fee.

Also, as others have suggested -- tell EVERYONE you know about what happened to your sweet Charlie.

It's good to hear that he is on the mend.

·
Registered
865 Posts
On a side note, Toby has never done well with kennels either. That is until I found a kennel that also had a doggie day care in it. I would take him occasionally to the doggie day care. While he wasn't a huge play dog, he got used to the place and enjoyed the company of the other dogs. They had a web cam, so I witnessed it!!! So when he had to be kenneled he was already used to the place, people, noises, etc. He didn't even have to have his crate (Toby was always just like Charlie sounds - security blanket). Now that he has Lucky to room with, boarding is not a problem, but I was so happy to have found the place that I did to help him when it was just him. Thought I would pass it along as an idea for you since you have plenty of time before you have to leave again!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
So sorry to hear of yours and Charlies bad experience, but glad charlie is getting better. I would at least demand an explanation and hope they would refund the vets bill. I would try to get the kennels on a 'black-list', a person like that woman should not be working with animals.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you have a Camp Bow Wow by your house or another kind of doggy day care place? At those places the dog spends more time out in the play yards with other dogs vs just in a kennel.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Originally Posted By: Joe BeaglesWow.. that is terrible.

If it were me and mine, I would walk in with the ER bill and ask very loudly... WHAT THE #$%! DID YOU DO TO MY DOG? Making sure everyone can hear it. Demand the owner (screw the manager) and not be shuffled off to an office. They should cover the bill and refund the boarding cost. And then notify the SPCA and Humane Society.

Yes, I can be a vengeful bastard.
Oh yeeeaaah!! That's what I would do. No one messes with my dog!

I am so sorry that Charlie had such a bad experience but thank goodness he is starting to get beter. But I would still complain about it especially since you paid for this service and it did not met your standards.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I'm glad Charlie is ok and feeling better. I would definitely complain and let them know that Charlie had to go to Emergency vet and what they said.

We have a dog sitter that comes to our house to dog sit. Check around to see if there are any dog sitting companies in your area.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well....I'm very reluctant to pick up the phone and call them again. It is 3:45pm already, still have not gotten a call back from the hospital manager. I have fax over the reports from the ER, she should take the initiative to call me first right?
And I have check the bbb.org as Sandy suggested. They don't seems to have kennel issues, all for buying and selling. Should I go ahead and file a complaint? I hate doing this kind of thing, and I'm very nervous. I do not want to make a fuss about it, but somehow it is not fair to me and to Charlie!
Any suggestion, anyone? Thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If the BBB doesn't have a section for kennels, there must be some organization with oversight. In my opinion this needs to be called to the attention of someone with authority. Happily, Charlie's getting better, but the next pup might not.

These people are in business to care for people's beloved dogs, and they failed. The manager should definitely call you but, if you don't hear from her in a reasonable amount of time, I'd certainly call her again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts