Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To help with Xerxes's OCD, we started formal (virtual) training last night. He was VERY excited, but it didn't help that for part of the time Nebbers and Agis (our younger Rottie mix) were out there. Agis has already been trained to a higher level, so he was doing everything and being quite insistent about getting treats. More distraction for Xerxes!

It's funny though, I had all three dogs and one of the cats (who has learned sit) vying for treats. Jess, our trainer, who Agis and I did Obedience I and II with, was killing herself laughing.

But WOW was Xerxes excited afterwards! Annoyingly, he was flank sucking (his OCD behaviour) even more! I've been trying to use obedience training as a distraction/way to tire out his little brain. I think he was just so stimulated.

And he kept trying to mount and hump Agis. Who is twice his size (he's small for a Rottie mix, a bit over 50lbs - sort of 52 to 54lbs). Agis was not appreciative. Xerxes did that occasionally when Agis was little, but Agis was not having it now. We had no issues removing Xerxes but then a little while later he'd be back at it mounting Agis.

Hopefully training next week is a little less chaotic!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
That does sound chaotic. Maybe once he gets used to the training he will settle down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
To help with Xerxes's OCD, we started formal (virtual) training last night. He was VERY excited, but it didn't help that for part of the time Nebbers and Agis (our younger Rottie mix) were out there. Agis has already been trained to a higher level, so he was doing everything and being quite insistent about getting treats. More distraction for Xerxes!

It's funny though, I had all three dogs and one of the cats (who has learned sit) vying for treats. Jess, our trainer, who Agis and I did Obedience I and II with, was killing herself laughing.

But WOW was Xerxes excited afterwards! Annoyingly, he was flank sucking (his OCD behaviour) even more! I've been trying to use obedience training as a distraction/way to tire out his little brain. I think he was just so stimulated.

And he kept trying to mount and hump Agis. Who is twice his size (he's small for a Rottie mix, a bit over 50lbs - sort of 52 to 54lbs). Agis was not appreciative. Xerxes did that occasionally when Agis was little, but Agis was not having it now. We had no issues removing Xerxes but then a little while later he'd be back at it mounting Agis.

is he neutered? I have only had females and I’m considering a male this time around but I’m kind of old fashioned in seeing the family jewels; so I’ve been on the fence because of humping. My son has a 9 yr old intact Yorkie snd I don’t want dominance fights (well that may happen anyway but want to take all into consideration) some analysis paralysis going on with me - I narrowed my breeders down to 5 finally.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're all neutered! Agis (Rottie mix) and Xerxes came neutered. That's despite Agis being neutered best guess ~11 weeks old (AWFUL) based on the incision healing when we adopted him at 13.5 weeks. Xerxes was neutered no later than 1.5 years based on what we know of his history.

I think with him it's an excited thing with humping Agis. It's not a common behaviour at all.

We had Neb from a puppy and didn't neuter him until 18 months. He's very laid back, but when he was younger was not tolerant of MOST intact dogs. But the individual dog mattered too so you son's dog and yours could be fine. Neb's also a mix, a purebred beagle should be calmer maybe, not sure.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh. I was talking to my mother-in-law today - who grew up in the English countryside hunting with beagles. I said, I'm doing some obedience lessons with Xerxes but recall/anything where he has to stay away from me is not going well as he follows me around (even without treats). Even when I'm not doing obedience, he often does!

She said 'What are you doing obedience with a beagle for!? They're for hunting and following their noses, not obedience!'

I got a real chuckle out of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts