Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed while giving Chase his daily brush that his black hairs are coming off and it's turning brown where his black was. His bottom area was all black but now it's mostly brownish black and also on his front legs/upper shoulder area. I'll post picture's a bit later we got caught in the rain lol so he's a stinky wet puppy.

Anyone else beag changed colors?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
They all change color. Most tri-color beagles change most of their black to brown (or at least part of it)...

Be prepared, the change won't stop for a few years, and Chase might change color most of his life.... I think it's amazing, beautiful trait they have.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Wow! That is interesting. I didn't know that they would change colors. Daisy has a lot of white with black spots on her back, so I'll have to watch to see if they turn brown.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it. When I saw the brown mixed with the black I was in awe. You're right it's definitely beautiful.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Cool isn't it? Jersey changed colors so much I thought she might be part chameleon. She was born all red and white. By the time I adopted her at about 8-9 weeks she had gotten some black in her back and at the base of her tail. The black has almost all faded now and she's mostly red and white. She's 2 1/2 and it's still happening. Now she's getting white around her eyes. It was so interesting to watch. I could see it happening by looking closely at her spots. The hairs would be black at the tip and brown at the bottom (and vice-versa).

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah Fizz's head changed colour really quickly and now her rear quaters are going brown too! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
308 Posts
The way we know Stray Jack is a Beagle mix and probably under 2 is because he is also changing colors!

I KNOW Lillie is going to turn out about 95% brown cause she has brown hair all over her saddle. I don't believe that Chloe will be changing much more beyond her ears cause she is solid purple/black on her saddle!

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have had Magnolia for 7 weeks and all the black on her head has turned brown. The freckles have gotten bigger on her nose and the little white spot near her rear is nearly gone. Since her back is all black (except for the white spot) I am curious to see if there will be any big changes there.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Tri Color beagles are born mostly black and white - there is little, if any, brown on them. as they grow it gradually changes.
Here is Angel at about 4 days old.

Here she is at about 2 months.

And at 10 weeks.

Here she is at 9 months.

I don't think "lemons", chocolates, and reds change colors as drastically, at least the lemons that I've seen have been very pale - almost a cream color when born.
The freckles will gradually appear (if they have ticking - not all beagles are "ticked).
Hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
324 Posts
White may spread some,but usually no change except may add some ticking to lower legs or chest.

·
Registered
52 Posts
John asks me daily where his little black and white puppy went, LOL. Scooter still has a lot of black but developed a ton of brown, especially on his head and face.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The "feathering" on Angel's head was more pronounced - gradually "shrunk" till now she just has a tiny stripe that you have to really LOOK to see. It's really fun to watch them change - especially when you watch them from birth, as I have "Angel".

·
Registered
751 Posts
My Marley hasn't changed color that I recognize. He is a red/white.

He used to have a few little dark brown/black hairs real sparingly on his ears but not anymore.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by DaisysMom:
Wow! That is interesting. I didn't know that they would change colors. Daisy has a lot of white with black spots on her back, so I'll have to watch to see if they turn brown.
MOST of the color changes are the head and ears - the "ticking" (freckles) usually stays whatever color it starts as. My JoJo has both "blue" (black) and "red" (brown) ticking and has since she was a pup.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry's a beagle mix that is all black and tan (like a Shepherd). When we adopted him at 1 year in September he had only a small white spot on his chest. Recently his white spot has some new white hairs branching out of it, and he has some tiny white hairs on his nose. I joke and say that's where his blaze was supposed to be! It's pretty cute, but not drastic. I think the black/tan bicolor boy is here to stay! It is interesting to see those tricolor genes vainly try to come through!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Both Lucy and Flora are tricolor, and only their saddles remain black. By the time the brown finishing taking over from the black on their heads, shoulders, and hips, the white started coming in on their faces!

Someday I will have to stop being so technologically ignorant, and post pictures.

BTW- I don't know what the proper term is, but Lucy has an area on her shoulders where the hairs are both black and white. Same hair, the color alternates. I think that's to be sure the hair she sheds shows up on my clothing no matter what I wear! LOL

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's some changes of the head!

When I first got him.

Tomorrow I'll try to get his back. But its amazing how the black went away and he's becoming more brown. He has blue freckles (tickings)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock came to us mostly black with just a little brown on his head. Now, most of the black is gone from his head and ears. My boyfriend calls him with mock disgust "brown dog" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif "You changed colors on me!"

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sadie at 3 months... She had a black, "Eddie Munster" widow's peak and her ears were all black about 6 weeks before this picture was taken.

Sadie now, at 2-1/2 years... (in pink)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts