Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here passed the CGC/TDI? I've tried searching through past threads, but can't seem to find anything. Sebastian and I have taken the test and passed all of the parts except supervised separation, which we are working on so he can get it next time! I would love to hear if anyone here has passed the CGC with their beagle, and any tips you might be able to offer

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wish I could give you some help here but I don't even know what the CGC/TDI is... Would you mind explaining?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Abby,
CGC=Canine Good Citizen (we just learned this recently too)
I dont know what TDI is though?

We have not done this with our beags, sorry!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes you guys are correct, CGC=Canine Good Citizen and TDI is Therapy Dogs International. I would LOVE to be able to achieve this with my little guy since he is so good with everyone (dogs and people alike). Like I said before, we have taken the test before and passed all parts except supervised separation, which is when the owner leaves the dog in a room with a different handler for three minutes. In order to pass the dog must show no signs of being uncomfortable in the situation, such as whining, crying and barking. It's tough for us since Sebastian is so attached to me! I haven't met many beagle owners who have done this with their dogs, so I was hoping someone here might have insight

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm in the process of going through the TDI course. I'm only 2 weeks into the course so I'm probably not much help. Colby is fine with the seperation part. We just have to work on the walker. He is scared to death of it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep us updated! I am planning on getting back into a course in September...we took the summer off. Our humane society offers a class to complete CGC/TDI in one test, which will be great if we ever pass. Good luck with the walker! I don't really have any advice on that one...Sebastian never had a problem with that part.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Shiloh B. passed his CGC test back in late 2004, at the end of his Intermediate/Advanced level obedience training at Petsmart - it also helps that I try to keep up with it everyday - meaning when we are out in the yard just any day, I will work on his sit then I'll walk off or around a bush - I make him stay until I call.

As for the supervised separation - is there someone there who could help you with this? They hold Sebastian while you walk around the corner - start out with short times then increase as he learns that you will come back.

Shiloh B. is also a therapy dog thru Delta Society, we are a Pet Partner team - we passed the intitial eval back in the spring of 2005 and have passed our re-evaluations twice since then - that is a requirement: re-evaluation every two years.

I am at work right now - if you have any other questions, I will try to remember to check later this evening.

By the way, I believe Beagles are completely underused and under-represented as therapy dogs - Shiloh B. loves it - I hope my other Beagle, Shasta B. will pass her eval this fall.
Gotta go.........

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sorry I am so late with this - been busy. I just wanted to post a pic of Shiloh B. (he's the bigger one) who is my current therapy dog and has become a favorite friend to those we visit. Shasta B. is my other Beagle - she is in training and hopefully will pass her CGC and eval for therapy dog this fall. She hasn't really fully matured (mentally & emotionally) like Shiloh B. did so I have had to wait until now - Shiloh B. had just turned 2 the month before when he passed his therapy dog eval and Shasta B. will be 3 this October 8th.

Both do well with the supervised separation - that is something they worked on in obedience classes at Petsmart.

Ok - here's the pic-

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Kim! Both Shiloh and Shasta are so cute!! Thanks for all of your comments about the therapy training. I totally agree that beagles are under-represented as therapy dogs!

I have been working with Sebastian on supervised separation by having a friend hold him and then me walking around the corner. Its not so bad when I do it at home...he can almost handle the whole three minute time period. It usually goes down the tubes when we actually practice it in a classroom setting.
Its really frustrating since he can pass all of the other parts. Of course, we'll keep working on it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My two older beagles are both CGC certified. My male, Bailey is also certified as a HRD Search and Rescue dog with NASAR and NAPWDA. Believe it or not he works off lead most of the time. I use a neon orange harness to see him in the woods and a bell is attached so I can hear him when he gets lost in the thick brush.
Daisy was being trained for USAR (Urban Search and Rescue). She was trained in air scent/live find, trained to do agility and obedience. She was doing great working on concrete piles, climbing ladders, etc. until she got beagle stiff neck syndrome. :eek:( I had to put her on prednizone to help with her neck issues and decided to retire her to prevent any aggravation to her neck from working. She hates to be left home on training day.
Teri

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.