Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beagle Trigger now is REDZONE no doubt. I am using Cesar methods now he is starting to get a LITTLE better. If this fails... oh gosh I can't say it. Please pray that he becomes a good, non-aggressive dog! He has one week to improve some or... :cry:

·
Registered
398 Posts
How is he agressive?

what training has been done?

how old is he?
what type of excersise does he get?
how old is he?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I never, ever ever ever even wanted to THINK about a beagle. I don't like noisy dogs. In fact, I REALLY don't like them. I also don't like stubborn dogs. I begged mom for a companion for Max the chihuahua, who died unexpectledly shortly after we got Trigger due to a Pitbull attack, he ran in and saved my life, and mom said that THE ONLY WAY I could get a dog was if I got a... I tried to not cringe... BEAGLE. I let out a long, mad sigh. We argued and argued and argued. I wanted a Collie (Or border collie which is now our newest addition as a playmate for trigger) or a Doberman Pinscher. Mostly a Doberman, but collies were in. She hated both of them. Finally, I let her win the fight and we found a beagle puppy ad in the paper. Three male pups. First set of shots. So here we go driving down the interstate, finally we look at them. I wanted the small, good natured puppy who was always holding his tail down (good sign of a submssive dog) but mom said we were GOING TO GET "this one". I looked. The one sitting, wiggling to get down, mouthing and holding his tail high. "Or none at all." she continued. I couldn't leave these adorable pups, but then as I was about to say, "I want this one" mom payed the woman and told me to get in the car, and put the puppy down. I objected, saying that "You put the puppy down, I want this one." She rolled her eyes, the woman took the puppy from me, and mom put me in the car (I know, pitiful, a nine year old and a mom dragging her to the car) and we drove off. I knew it was NOT a good idea. So now I'm stuck with a dog I kind of regret getting. He is dominat and dangerous, tries to rip me to shreds.

Anyway, that's how I got my beagle.
When it comes to mum vs. 9 year old argument its not really an argument so much as the mum is the adult who provides the food, clothing, shelter, love and guidance and the 9 year old thinks that for some reason having all of this given to them isn't enough and anything other than getting exactly what they want is mean or unreasonable. We've all been at that age before...and in retrospect I'm fairly certain that most of us look back and say...wow...what a knucklehead am I.

That aside I really urge you to sit down and reread your own words, reflect on your own behavior and attitude towards your beagle, and have a serious talk with your mum about your concerns. I encourage you to have your mum read through this forum, and see what advise is being offered from various different individuals in regards to different situations.

I'm also going to tell you how that particular post came across in pretty straight forward terms. Not to be mean or hurt feelings but to point out in plain old black and white the feelings towards your beagle that you're sharing with others either intentionally or not.

• You don't like beagles personally, and believe they are too loud
  • After grudgingly realizing that you were not getting what you wanted, you agreed to get the dog breed that your parents (who probably pay all the bills if you're only nine) decided they were comfortable with adding to the household
  • Not only did you end up with a breed you don't like, but you also ended up with the puppy that you don't believe was the perfect one
  • You seem to hate your beagle...its not a breed you like, its not the one you wanted, and like all children you are vastly more knowledgeable than your parents on most things...this was a mistake...
  • You feel that your stuck with a dog you regret getting at all
  • Somehow this is all your parents fault because you knew this was a mistake and they just wouldn't listen
I could be completely off on my impressions of your words...again, its only the way they come across to me. In all honesty if your behavior, dedication towards training, and general attitude towards your dog are anything close to what you put forward it's no small wonder your having problems...How can pouring out seething resentment towards your pet possibly result in positive results even if your following the greatest ever dog genius to walk the earth's instructions step by step.

I'm curious as well as to what behaviors you've observed that automatically throw him into the 'red zone' ie...dangerous biting monster dog category. I'm also wondering what you've done up until now with him to work on the problem. I'm personally not a fan of Cesar or many of his methods...I do agree with him that a well exercised dog is generally a happy calm dog however.

Has he been to a vet to rule out medical issues? A toothache can be murder and can make people...who are much better at communicating their ow moments...rather uncomfortable and moody. Again, I'd definitely talk to your mum about ruling out medical issues.

I'd start there to be honest, ask your vet for a referral or recommendation for someone whose got experience dealing with potentially aggressive dogs after medical causes have been ruled out. Keep reading and researching...and maybe look at getting your guy a bit more stimulation? Mental really is just as important as physical in breeds that are particularly clever.

In the end I hope you decide to step up and take on the responsibility you sought out in a responsible manner...I hope your family supports you in this and you really follow through with things, even if its not what you think is best...It would be pretty sad to see a dog dumped or sent to a shelter, rehomed, etc before every genuine effort was taken to get him or her back on track.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't hate him, I treat him very well, feed him, water him, pet him. At times he can be sweet. I don't hate HIM or the breed, I just don't like the breed as much as I would have a Border Collie or Doberman (But mom thinks Dobermans are "dangerous like you never thought!" so I couldn't get one anyway)

Good news, though, he is slightly improving, not considering a million bites on my hands and arms, but he is doing better. Took him to the vet no medical probs. Mom doesn't like this site, she thinks the best way is to spoil them rotten and don't start with that "training mess". I believe the EXACT OPOSITE, and he is doing better with ME then HER.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In the end I hope you decide to step up and take on the responsibility you sought out in a responsible manner...I hope your family supports you in this and you really follow through with things, even if its not what you think is best...It would be pretty sad to see a dog dumped or sent to a shelter, rehomed, etc before every genuine effort was taken to get him or her back on track.
Thanks. :) What I was thinking......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly, I would NOT rehome him without trying everything possible.

Update: Trigger is getting better and better every "hierarchy training session" I do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts