Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wasn't sure where to post this since it's not about a beagle, so mods feel free to move it.

My lab, Cowboy, can't have a dog bed in his crate because he shreds it to pieces. So right now were using Pets' Pick cedar bedding.
I read that cedar and pine have aromatic oils that have proven to cause kidney and respiratory problems in small animals(hamsters, gerbils, etc.). Will it effect Cowboy???? If so, should I switch to aspen(it has no aromatic oils)???? Is there anything softer than woodchips and small animal bedding that I can buy for him that he won't chew up too bad????

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm afraid I can't give you any advice on this subject. I'd never heard that cedar is harmful to dogs, but can't say it isn't. I use one of our old blankets for Spook's crate, but if Cowboy tears everything up that might not work for you. :conf6:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
http://www.petstreetmall.com/Chewproof-Dog-Beds/1782.html

I purchased this kind of bed for my senior dog who passed on. The poly resin one. Charlie chewed up his bed but not his own :evilgrin: But this one last forever. Charlie's bed is a crate, chew proof anyway.
I ended up with 2 of these, thinking of donating them. Very durable, during cold weather I put a bathroom rug on it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is an interesting topic. I never knew there was a problem, but I found 2 articles on the web that would lead you to think that cedar products are best avoided around pets:

Phenols/Respiratory Toxicity of Pine and Wood Shavings

What\'s Wrong with Cedar Shavings

.... and here's a discussion on the subject in another forum:
Cedar Chips in your Dog\'s Bedding In this discussion, someone suggests using a product called "Yesterday's News" which is processed paper pellets made from newspaper to absorb odor and moisture, or aspen shavings or pellets.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Charlie mom:
http://www.petstreetmall.com/Chewproof-Dog-Beds/1782.html

I purchased this kind of bed for my senior dog who passed on. The poly resin one. Charlie chewed up his bed but not his own :evilgrin: But this one last forever. Charlie's bed is a crate, chew proof anyway.
I ended up with 2 of these, thinking of donating them. Very durable, during cold weather I put a bathroom rug on it.
Hmmm... I might have to look into that

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh yes, that's where I got it from too, Kuranda.
It is about $60 not that cheap, but I bet you have gone through more than $60 with the one being destroyed! I found out from the Animal Rescue Foundation, they use these beds in their condos, just imagine those rescue dogs, chew through everything.
Very easy to clean too, just hose it with your garden hose. The bathroom rug, I just throw it into the washer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.