Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, geese I don't know even how to start this being that I am crying my eyes out right now. Cassidy's surgery did not go as well or routine as it was suppose to. Her heart rate went up and the hernia ended up being larger then it was thought. Instead of stitching her up, they had to staple her from the chest down. She is also not dealing well with the pain. Vet said she has zero pain tolerance. She has to have some type of stuff injected that is stronger then morphine and she is still screaming in pain. So, the vet is keeping her hopefully only until tomorrow if she does well through the night. Vet said she is the biggest baby he has ever seen in his entire vet career. Go figure....and to think, I don't actually baby my dog....so, I am sitting here....crying...worried...stressed....my baby is in pain....this is going to be a long recovery.........someone please write me for comfort.....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am so sorry. Normally these surgeries go without any issues. She'll be your little miracle soon and you will wonder why you worried so much. At least that is what I am going to keep praying for. I feel for Cassidy though too because I feel like I either experience pain a lot more than others or I have a low tolerance for it also because I too am a baby. Many prayers and good thoughts coming your way!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Aw-www, I'm so sorry.
It's probably best that she stay overnight although I know you'll worry. Bless her, she can't help if if she has a low tolerance for pain. She'll be in my prayers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does someone deal with this. I wonder, if she is screaming bloody murder just by picking her up, I can't imagine how bathroom time is going to go none the less getting her out of her crate since she doesn't want to move...anyone experience this before? I am home along and oh so worried....

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted By: SandyjAw-www, I'm so sorry.
It's probably best that she stay overnight although I know you'll worry. Bless her, she can't help if if she has a low tolerance for pain. She'll be in my prayers.
lol vet sad she was biggest baby ever!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Poor Cassidy and poor you! I wonder if some of her crying could be confusion in coming out of the meds they used for surgery. It can sometimes make animals act strangely until it works out of their system.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Poor Cassidy. Don't you wish there were times when you could both talk to each other. It hurts Mom, I am afraid, I don't understand and you would be able to tell her that it hurts now but it will be better. Are they giving her anything so she does not get too worked up. Or even better is someone there in the clinic overnight. Many of us Beagle World members can tell you tales of sleeping on the floor with their pups that were recovering from major surgery - and have the stiff backs to prove it! lol Hope tomorrow brings a happier Cassidy.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My heart goes out to you and Cassidy. I do hope she gets better soon and has a good night at the Vet. I have faith that she will be okay, my thoughts & prayers are with you & sweet Cassidy.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You and Cassidy will be in our prayers in hopes that tomorrow brings better news. She is in a place where her needs can best be tended to. Just take it one day at a time, as she is really going to need you once she gets home. Things will be back to normal before you know it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm so sorry. I know you feel so helpless and scared right now. I hope that your baby is much improved today. I would be beside myself too.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor little Cassidy. As mentioned already, 99.9% of the time these surgeries are routine and nothing out of the ordinary happens. You couldn't have known that her hernia would be bigger and that her heart would react that way.

I am sure the vet and his staff are doing their best to keep her comfortable and I'm sure that with lots of love and gentle care she will deal with the pain much better and recover from this.

Even in such a post-op situation, when they start recovering they do so very fast. I am hopeful that within a few days Cassidy will be much better and you'll have your baby back!!

Hugs and kisses

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sorry to hear about Cassidy. I'm sure once she's home she'll settle down and start feeling better.

Plese keep us updated!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Thanks everyone for your prayers and concerns. Sorry it also took so long to update, but BW takes a long time to load on my computer because I have Cox internet. Anywho, Cassidy is now asleep in her crate, each breath seems to be painful so she has a little whimper. I feel that she is relieved however to be home. When we went to the vet this morning, he said that she was the biggest baby that he had ever seen in his entire career. (lol) She ran into the corner of her crate when he came in, I said better him then me I suppose. She is doing well today, the staples run from her mid chest down, about 3-4 inches long incision. She is on pain meds and antibiotics. She goes back to the vet on Monday. She so far has eaten and drink just fine, and using the bathroom okay. She is however, reverse sneezing a lot everytime she takes a step. Not sure about that. It's going to be a long recovery, poor thing. But, all is well and she is home with me where she belongs. Thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad Cassidy is home.
It'll probably help her recovery because, like us, I think our furkids do better when they're in their own familiar surroundings.

Rub her ears for me since she probably doesn't want tummy rubs at this point.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Lots of kisses to little Cassidy. I'm sure that now that she's home she will recover much quicker!
The scar will be invisible in a few months when all the coat grows back and I'm sure that in a few days she won't be in pain anymore.

Gentle rubs to the little (big) baby!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts