Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This strange behavior started on Monday night. She refused to go outside to pee before bed, running to her kennel and panting and shaking. I thought maybe something outside scared her-a loud noise or something. She didn't want to go out the next day either, and usually she will spend all day outside if I'm off work. She seems to be eating,drinking, pooping and peeing normally. when I take her for a walk no problems. thing is she's taken to hiding in her kennel and shaking and panting like crazy. I see nothing physically wrong with her, but wonder if I should take her to be checked out to make sure. Any ideas or suggestions? this one has me stumped. I can't see anything wrong with her and I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think that's the first thing-make sure there isn't a physical problem. If everything is clear from the vet then I'd start looking around and try to figure out what has her shaken up. Any other dogs around? A sprinker system that went off and frightened her? Kids in the neighborhood banging on her fence?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree with Pop - I would likely do that. Shasta B. acted like that a little one evening lately but by the time we went to bed, she was over it - she was real clingly too, wanting to be with me ALL the time and for me to either hold her or be touching her. Never did know for sure what was going on. If you do take her to the vet, make sure to detail what has been going on with Casey.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Something might have scared her in your yard. One morning not to long ago Maggie wouldn't go in the backyard at all. I had to stand on the patio with her or she refused to go through the door.
It is a good idea to have your vet check her out in case she has pain somewhere. But hopefully it is nothing and if something scared her she will forget in a day or two.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Good luck with your appointment. Our last beagle (Spotty) used to have panic attacks (panting and shaking) whenever she heard a loud bang. Fireworks were the worst.
Susi sometimes has days when she wont go on the grass and will only pee on the path in our garden. We think its because she has learnt that ticks and grass-mites can get her in the grass, but we cant be sure. She dashes back indoors.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The appointment went well. The vet said that there is nothing physically wrong with her, which was a relief. He said to try and redirect her focus on something else when she exhibits this behavior. Try to walk her and play with her outside. Hopefully she will be back to herself soon. I wish I knew what scared her.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I would very closely inspect your backyard and see if anything looks out of place or could be frightening at beagle eye level. Maybe take her out on a leash and see how she reacts to different areas of the yard. If it is a smell problem, you are going to have lots of reassuring to do! One time when we were down at a local park, my usually happy go lucky go anywhere sniff anything beagle refused to go by one area of the lake. No how no way and she was frightened to death. I found out the next day that a mountain lion had been seen there at dawn with a carcass. We have a saying in our house that the beagle nose knows and never doubt it!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Glad to hear there is no physical cause. When Maggie was afraid of my backyard my cats were also uncomfortable out there. We think she was picking up a scent of something other than a possum or raccoon that traveled through overnight. I had to go stand outside with her for about a week and then she seemed to forget.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts