Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a small lump on Casey's cheek about 2 weeks ago. It is small, so I just kept an eye on it. There were no changes in size, shape or anything. She is acting normal in every way. I just didn't like the look of it, and decided it needed to be checked. I took her to the vet yesterday, and after looking at it she decided it needed to be removed. She said she will remove it and send it in for analysis. She said that hopefully it was nothing, and that if it turns out to be cancerous, we caught it very early. She is scheduled for surgery on Monday. I am glad she is getting it removed quickly, and hope everything goes well. Wish us luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing by taking her in. Positive thoughts coming your way

·
Registered
271 Posts
More positive thoughts from Molly and I. Molly had a lump removed from her side last year and it was benign.

I was so worried because a couple months before that my lab had a lump removed and it was cancerous. But we caught it very early so they think they got it all. But if she gets any more lumps we have to take her in right away.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm sure everything will be fine. Dogs seem to get harmless lumps and bumps often. Beagle kisses to you and Casey.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sending lots of prayers to you and Casey! I honestly don't think that there is such a thing as being overly cautious with our pups -- I have learned over the years that I need to be just as proactive with Maggie's health as I am with my own.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree with Judy, that we can't be overly cautious with our pets' health. A couple of years ago, I had two lumps removed from Li'l Girl. They were small, too, but I didn't want to take any chances. Will keep fingers and paws crossed that Casey's is just a benign little lump.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Fingers and paws crossed that it turns out to be a harmless lump - and that Casey recovers quickly (and even more beautiful for having had it removed).

Popcorn and Moose have each had one lump removed - and Booker is up to about 15 at this point (!) and all have turned out fine, so hoping that trend continues for you.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Best wishes for Casey. Hugs for you all ((()))

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Here we are keeping all fingers, toas and paws crossed that all goes well for Casey. thinking of you.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the good thoughts everyone. She had the lump removed yesterday, and is doing good. We will know the results in about a week. If anyone has any ideas on how to get her to wear the cone { she started to scratch at the incision sight so we put the cone on her and she freaked out } we let her smell it and see it but when we put it on she was shaking and whining very scared. anytime it bumped anything she would freak out. We tried to calm her and have her lay and I led her around the house so she would know how to move around with it. Nothing worked. She was shaking and so stressed I had to take it off for the night and just monitor her. I am off today so I can watch her but when I go to work I don't want her to scratch or have her so stressed. I have only seen her like that when she hears fireworks. Any suggestions??

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well. I hope that all is good with the results. As for the cone, Jersey's never needed to use one (knock wood!), but I know that there is another type of cone that is more like a neck brace. Instead of just blocking them like the cone does it keeps them from being able to turn their head and get to the wound.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm not sure how I missed that one, but I'm happy to read the surgery went well.
Chloe and I are sending beagly kisses to Casey and hoping the results will be good.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
As the wound is on her face it is easy to reach with her feet. Our last beagle went crazy with a cone as well. You could try bandaging the feet on the side of the wound, so she doesnt get her claws in the wound. It might also distract her from the wound.

Hope the results are good.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Just put the cone on and leave it on. Casey will get used to it in time. Trust me, ripped out stitched and infections are worth him suffering through some discomfort. (been there... done that.)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am very happy to report I got a call from the vet today and the results are in and it is a harmless lump( I can't remember the name I will check when I get the report) It usually occurs in dogs under 3. Casey will be 3 in September. I just have to monitor her in case she gets any more. I compromised with the cone. I used treats and lots of praise to distract her and convince her to move. she would just stand in one place. At night I put on booties so she can sleep comfortably in her kennel. Thanks for the advice and good thoughts everyone!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts