Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow...I knew this would take a lot out of him...we took him yesterday morning and the vet was done in less than an hour...I got to hold him while he was injected...he threw up a few times on the ride home and once more in the afternoon and then slept pretty much the whole day and night...he lost control of his bladder once (which is strange cause he hadn't had any water since the night before) but regained control later that night. He is wearing those ridiculous collars cause he made a few attempts to lick the area with it off and I didn't want to take a chance that he would rip out his stitches...he is starting to adjust to the shield, but he still bumps into every door frame and piece of furniture...after wearing it for a week, he'll probably give everything a wide berth for awhile. Is there anything to expect over the next week? That is, anything unexpected...

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Aww, poor little guy. I can't remember anything extra ordinary about boy pups being neutered. It's been 8 years since ours were done. I think just watch he doesn't rip the stitches out. Watch to make sure the area doesn't get infected. Everyone reacts to the anesthetics (sp?) differently. Give him time for it to work out of his system. But, if it seems to go for too long call your vet. And, of course he'll need extra belly rubs, hugs and treats. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
yep, ditto to Kathy's comments. I don't remember too many complications to Cal's surgery either.
Probably the hardest thing to do will be keeping him out of trouble until the incision is well healed.
Sending belly rubs and kisses to a brave pup. :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Poor little lad, just keep an eye on him and give him plenty of attention. Things normally go well but if you are worried at any time call your vet. That look on his face is so sweet and begging for belly rubs. :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope Casey is doing better today.

BTW: That E-collar looks too small to stop him from licking. Keep an eye on him. I know from experience how beagles can get around those things to get at what they feel needs licking.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That "cone" looks like the same size that Caesar got after he was neutered and he managed to lick the incision with it on. We had to go back and get him a larger one but then he couldn't eat or drink because it was too big. So we got the Bitter Yuk spray. It's a chewing deterant that is safe to spray directly onto the dog. One of us would hold him him up while the other sprayed his incision. He didn't like it. I'm sure it was quite cold on a rather sensitive area. We also tried to limit his activity for about a week.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My Boeing was neutered last month and everything went well for him except that he was extra thirsty during the first few days. He didn't lick those stitches much and he got to wear the E-collar only on the first day after the surgery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stitches are holding...they look really tight. The collar is barely long enough, but the main problem is that now that it's been 3 days, he wants to do his zoomies all the time...sigh...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts