Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k so I posted a few days ago that she caught a squirrel. My husband came home from work, and went outside to see the dogs. He came back in and told me Casey had caught a bird, and was chewing on the wing. He thought it was a robin. Apparently I named the wrong beagle Hunter. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif She was outside too, and again was not interested in this conquest of Casey's. My question is now that she has done this twice, will she continue to hunt small animals, ect?
I know it is her beagle nature. Is it safe for her to eat these things? It was too late for the bird, she was already finished by the time my husband seen it, but I worry about diseases. She has all her shots.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles tend to do this. If I see them gnawing on a critter they caught, I will remove it immediately. No telling what bad things it was carrying.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That's gross... reading this makes me happy about living in an apartment (even though I would rather have a back yard).
My friend's dog used to do that, pigeons, mice, you name it.... The vet told them that as long as she has all her shots, there is a chance that she will catch something, but it's small.
I probably would try keeping them out of troubles such as these anyway....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Polly got a rabbit 3 weeks ago. We have a fenced in yard, but the silly rabbits still come in here. There is plenty of undeveloped land around our yard...it was distressing. (not to Polly)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie hasn't caught a bird yet but she stalks them. She gets on her belly and creeps across the yard like the cats do. I told her I don't think its normal beagle hunting behavior to creep on her belly and then pounce but the poor thing only has cats for an example. So now not only do I have to go out and scare the birds away when I see a cat sneaking, I have to watch Maggie also.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jassy I think that Casey thinks she's a cat like Maggie. She climbs the trees!! I think that's how she got the bird. Only thing is my cat's are indoor cat's and Hunter prefers her paws on the ground, so I have no idea how she learned to climb.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Twins killed a total of 14 baby birds last month. And they are as I type hot on the trail of the backyard squirrel. I don't think it is harmful for the Beasts, I mean the Beagles!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Janna, Thats funny. When Maggie wanted to follow a racoon up a tree she tried to climb the nearby kids slide. She had no concept of climbing the tree.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts