Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all Beagles do this?

Umm well lets put it this way, I can't roll down my car window very much, cause Charlie would jump out if he sees something that interests him:( YES while I'm driving, )
I even tried holding on the leash while driving and only having the window down enough where he is able to stick out just his head , cause he likes that air flapping his ears:)

however; he does not care he will quickly stick his head back in really fast then go full force jumpin at the window to try and fit through it *arg* I think he's gonna brake it one day.

Examples of another time;;;;;;;we were comming outa the gas station,as turning the corner to pull out into traffic the little buggers foot touched the window button and halfway down window came and out he went to jump shessssh I thought i could not breathe, I had hold of his leash half of his body hanging outa the car put the car in park, holding him still for dear life as he's trying still to get the back legs out, I reached over and pulled him in. K at this time, I don't think I was really functioning to drive, but managed as it felt like it was a nightmare.

Are all Beagles this way? I've never encountered this behavoure with My past dog of 15years who was not a Beagle, and Rolo , Charlies adoptive brother who is not a Beagle does not do this!, Help, cause I tried rules and commands but this jumping outa moving cars is not safe and it sucks diddledoo?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know if all beagles do this, but I hope you get some good responses here because I think my beagle puppy (3 months) will be the same way. She already acts like she wants to jump out so we only keep the window cracked a tiny, tiny bit.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I probably need to get seat belts for my four pack, but for now I just loop the seat belt through the leash in a way that it keeps them from getting a way even if they did try to jump, but thankfully none have ever tried it out of my group. None of my beagles have a strong hunting instinct though either and that may make a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I keep Maggie in a crate or in a seat belt attachment in the back seat. Remember if you have airbags in your front seat it is a dangerous for a dog as for a small child.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
After having Spock try to go flying out the open window (with my hand firmly on his leash) and Bones try to crawl in my lap one too many times, I bought a seat belt. Now I buckle the pouting beagle into the back seat, roll down the windows as I see fit, and listen to them whimper at not being able to sit next to me. I have the dogs in their harnesses when we go anywhere outside the house, and I buckle the belt to the harness in case I stop suddenly or the dog jumps out of the car before the belt is unbuckled (which happened to Spock) - there is much, much less chance of injury to their necks with a seat belt harness.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Mine love to stick their heads out of the window, but have never really tried to jump out. I wouldn't totally put it past Lucky, though! I try to limit the time with their heads out the window since it is bad for their eyes, but they sure do love the wind flapping their ears!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
i don't think a dog should be loose in the car. if something goes wrong, and you are distracted, someone else may pay the penalty for your lack of judgement.

before i knew better, i had a lab. he could somehow force the window down in my 65 galaxy, and jump out anytime he smelled a puddle. what would have happened if he jumped out, and another car, trying to avoid hitting my dog, swerved and hit a tree, or a cyclist, or a child? all because i wasn't thinking.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey only tried to jump out once, while at the drive through at McDonald's. I guess the good smells were just too much for her to take. Otherwise, she's a pretty good car rider and just sits and watches out the window. I still have a seat belt harness to strap her in with though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow who would of thought seat belts etc? Well I tell you who Me!

I read all your posts and glad to see the information, I did a search online after reading your posts and came across a site and I ordered the Back Seat Barrier + partition

I don't have rear rolldown windows, so this should help killing 2 birds with 1 stone, it keeps him in a type like basket and stops him from coming in the front seat.

There are so many things for doggies I never new was out there, BIG THANX TO Everyone.

those that are having the same problem as myself, this is the place I found the handy little thing------>http://www.faithfulpetproducts.com/CarriersCarSeats.html

first 3 pictures are funny lol:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
My beagle definitely tries to jump out the window!

When I am holding her in my lap in the car, she will climb up to sit on my shoulder (very painful for me, might i add!), and try to stick her whole body out of the window, even though it's open a tiny little crack.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly likes to stand up and look out but she has never tried to jump out. My back windows have rolling controls so she can't roll the window down. Does your car have safety locks for the back windows? My Saturn used to have them and I could keep control of the windows from the front.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Letting them stick there head out the window at all is a bad idea. Imagine getting hit by a bug in the eye doing 40MPH. That can do serious damage.

My back windows are normally closed, cracked an inch at most, and are locked out.

And yes, Kali has figured out that pushing down on the button opens the window.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i was really worried snoopy was going to jump out when i first got her... i held her leash but i still think she would have.
i bought her a doggy seatbelt - i call it my beagle briefcase
it's one of the best things i've invested in for her.
it keeps her safe and unable to move around too much...if i was in a car crash she would be ok because it gives full support to her chest and back area. it's great!!
also, now when i roll down the window when she's IN it, she can just stick her face out and can still enjoy the breeze.
a few times, now that she's older, i've not had the seatbelt on and she no longer tries to jump out...but i don't roll the window down too much just in case.
good luck!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thankfully, Vinny hates sticking his head out in fact dosen't much care for car rides period. He sits right next to one one us, with a paw on the lap. He is overjoyed when we get home.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have heard that dogs should not stick their heads out the window in a moving car. The wind is harmful to their ears, and we know Beagles have ear problems anyway.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl doesn't like to ride in the car. Since she has so much room to run, I don't make her get in the car very often. When she does, she usually just sits or naps and, of course, drools on me, the seat, and anything else in range of her mouth.

·
Registered
959 Posts
WE've never had a sunroof before and now in our newer vehicle we do. Cobi and Casie went for rides last week, and found the opening in the window....arrrrooooo, barked all the way to the park...with ears flowing in the wind. At least I know they won't jump out of that one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts