Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our first beagle for over a year now and he still gets carsick! The vet recommended Bonine (kids dose) and I have used it once or twice with no real success. The poor dog looks rabid when he is in the vehicle. He does not like to be confined, he howls (screams) like you are killing him so, since we have an SUV we just put him in the back area with a sherpa, toys, treats, etc. He paces, walks in circles, drools like crazy and only after a long time will he lay down! We like to take our dogs places with us but I feel so bad for him because he gets so upset and stressed! Any suggestions?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe gets car sick as well. I don't feed her when I know we are going to a car ride within the next 3-4 hours and give her Bonine at least 1 hour before the ride. I also find it useful to put her in her bag while in the car. She just goes to sleep. If she's not in the bag, she's usually on my lap.
I recently bought a car harness for her, but didn't get to use it yet (no rides
).

I don't have a car, but if I did, I would probably get her gradually used to it. Playing with her in it, then starting the engine without going anywhere. Next step would be to have her (harnessed of course) in the back, riding around the neighborhood, gradually going for longer rides. I believe that eventually she could get used to car rides

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't want to say that you will probably have this problem for life, but that is what we are looking at. We have tried all of the tricks. Feeding him in the car while parked in the drive way, car harness, short rides, long rides, taking him places where he has fun, keeping him in his kennel, herbal treatments, Dramamine, Benedryl, you name it. We are finally just to the point of drool and that makes us happy. We have never had problems with him howling, but Blue does pace. We found that if we keep him interested with small treats through our short rides he doesn't drool. On the long rides, he seems to know that we are going to be there for a little while and he will lay down and sleep. We don't give him toys, it just makes him pace more it seems (that and we don't like the drool). Our vet was to the point of giving him Valium and I don't want to drug him just to ride in the car, we are totally against that. If you find something, let us know we would be happy to try!!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you on the drug issue. That is why I even limit the Bonine! He will lay down and sleep after awhile but its the anxiety he experiences that bothers me. I feel like we are traumatizing him!
He only howls if he is confined, which is why we stopped doing that and tried making the car a happy place.
Thank you for your post, I thought we had the only dog in creation who hates car rides!!!
If I find any tricks I will definately post!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your post.
Seems like this is going to be a long trial and error process!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Charlies first three car rides were hectic. Since then, he has learned what going for a ride is about. SLEEP. I think Josie being there and calm helps. We recently bought a 2008 F150 SuperCrew as we travel out of state a lot to visit the families and need to bring crates and other items along with us. The back seats get folded up, their bed and blanket gets taken from the living room to the truck. When they go in, Josie burrows under the blanket and passes out. Charlie paces a bit looking at us from the center console and eventually just gives in and sleeps. They both get put outside while I get the truck ready so they can burn off some energy. We use to stop for a potty break mid way through the trip, but since they both sleep through it now, we go straight on through (about 3 hour drive)

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two are excellent in the car. We have them in a large cage with a comfy bed. I think they feel secure in there. However a friend of ours goes everywhere by train as her dog is always sick in a car.

·
Registered
421 Posts
we don't have a car, i gave mine away 2 years ago. i go everywhere by public transportation or by bicycle. sophie doesn't like the subway too much because of the noise, but she is ok on the bus or the streetcar because of all the attention she gets. she really hams it up too. i look forward to riding her around in my bike trailer this summer so i can take her to neat places she will love. we are going to have a great summer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts