Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue has started something new the last few trips in the car and I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Blue is drooling uncontrollably (including bubbles) when we start the car and then he will throw up at some point during the ride. It used to be that he wouldn't get sick or start drooling until the end of our adventure, but today he started before we even left the drive way. We thought maybe it was the kennel so on the ride home from the vet, Greg held him up front and as soon as he got in the car he started drooling. He didn't throw up on the return trip, but drooled until we got out of the car.

Has anyone else had this problem?? The vet wasn't too worried about it, but he doesn't have to ride in the car with him!!

Also, has anyone tried motion sickness medicine for their dogs?

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
His drool, especially if foamy, is probably related to anxiety or stress. The throwing up could be to.

Abby use to throw up in the car. I asked about an out of town trip and vet said I could gave her dramimine.

She also said to reduce some stress/anxiety we could get her accustomed to car rides by taking shorter car rides, with "happy endings" or treats at the end so Abby would relate the car ride to something good.

We've also found to help with her motion sickness it's better if she's held (or at least supported) on the seat instead of being down on the floor.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, our vet offered Vicodin for car rides and I just can't see that. We are going to start taking him to day care and I don't want to drug him every morning. Do you give the child dose of Dramamine?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've given several dogs dramamine for car sickness, and have always just given a regular tablet. None had any ill effects from that dose.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Teddy gets car sick too. The drooling is anxiety related, according to our vet. When we go long distances Teddy has to take "ace" a tranquilizer, and a anti-nausea med too. On short trips we can make it if he sits up front, on my lap, with his nose stuck in the air -conditioner vent. This can make for a bad ride for the humans if it's not hot outside! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif , but we put on sweaters and do it, 'cause we know it's the only way Teddy can travel. Most of the time we leave him with a good friend so he doesn't have to be drugged.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine get pretty bad too if I dont have the air conditioner cranked up or windows down enough to blow enough air in. I always just figured they got overheated so fast, that was why they drooled and everything. They have only gotten sick on longer car rides. Well, one time after the vet but they were getting shots then
Judi :angel:

·
Registered
614 Posts
knock on wood Dixie has been pretty good about car rides.

we go atleast 3 hrs one way. I take her blanket and lay it on the seat, and give her some toys. sometime she just curls up and sleeps.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess we were just concerned since he was a trooper on the three hour ride to get him home and now he is having issues. We will have to try short trips for the next week and a few days to get him ready to go before we have to take him to daycare. The hard part with that will be that only one of us will be in the car so there will be no one to keep him safe while the other drives. Thanks for the tips everyone, we will see how it goes.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Have you looked into the doggie seatbelts?

Quote:Originally posted by Maria:
The hard part with that will be that only one of us will be in the car so there will be no one to keep him safe while the other drives.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't have a car, so out of the few times that I took Chloe in a taxi with me she was only sick once, and the cabby was very nice, stopped on the side of the road and let her finish.... who said taxi drivers aren't nice :conf6:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Both of my girls don't travel well. They have the drooling thing down, but they also get the runs. :pukey:
You can be driving along and all of a sudden you get a wiff.... :doh: So I have to always line the seats with towels, have paper towels nearby as well as bags and baby wipes.
Maggie is the only one I can get to calm down, by giving her something to chew on. Jasmine won't fall for that, but is ok sitting on someones lap.
I asked the vet and he said its just a nervous stomache... I'm hoping they will eventually grow out of it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you want to try something natural you can use ginger tablets ( from the health food store) for car sickness/nausea. Also putting a few drops of peppermint essential oil in the car ( NOT in the dog) can help.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Oh do I know all about this. Sydney does the exact same thing except if I just touch her crate or grab my keys when she is near, she starts frothing, even if she can't see the car. The last time I had to take her, I didn't sedate her and she was getting anxious for no reason for days after. It's absolutely horrible. I know a lot of it with Sydney is all in her head but she gets so upset that she throws up every time. I have even given her a full adult gravol and it does nothing (she is 22lbs).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Both our girls will drool when they are in a new environment, or feel stressed and anxious. Leia is terrible. We always have to apologise to people who get sprayed with slobber when she shakes her head. Or we pre warn them when patting that she's covered in drool.

Leia loves the car, loves hanging her head out and letting the wind flap her ears (and gums!). Sally on the other hand hates it. As soon as the harnesses come out, and it's in the middle of the day, Sally goes and hides. She knows it means a ride in the car. Leia by the time the harnesses are out is digging at the screen door to get into the car.

Sally is getting better I'll admit that, when she first started showing signs of stress in the car, she would hide down behind the seats and not rise until we stopped driving. She wouldn't take treats, wouldn't let us pat her.. she just wanted to be alone.

Now, she'll sit with her bum on the back seat, and her front paws/body on the centre console and look out the window. She yawns a lot which I think is related to stress. There is only once when she started drooling in the car and that was when there was a large box in the back seat beside her and I think she felt trapped. She wasn't, but that's the only thing I could think of.

We actually have some calming paste at home which we are yet to use. We are scared she'll have a reaction to the paste and we forgot to use it at another time when we aren't going somewhere to try it and see if she's okay.

I hope Blue gets better. Try the rescue remedy or a calming paste. The one we bought is for equines and dogs.

·
Registered
751 Posts
marley too does this. Vet says anxiety and to give him a half of benadryl to make him a little sleepy if we wanted to. We nixed that idea for now. The drive is only about 5 minutes from our house to the vet so we figure he will get used to it. I hold him tightly in my arms and let the window down a bit. This seems to help him. If he does not do better with this, with a bit of age and more riding, we will explore other options.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: We took Blue around the block tonight, but he wouldn't go near his kennel that we have in the car. He rode on Greg's lap and only drooled a little, but that could have also been from the treat!! We are going to give it another try tomorrow for a longer trip and maybe try with him on a seat by himself. I am going to try the ginger and peppermint as that even sounds like it would be good for the real humans too!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts