Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
We have a problem when travelling, Penny Beagle becomes very lethargic, drools and promptly throws up - on the shortest of trips in the car (even on an empty stomach). The vets here in New Zealand do not provide any drugs for this problem. We have tried Rescue Remedy (bach flower) but this has had no effect. Does anyone have a solution for a similar problem?

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly got car sick for the first 6 months or so that we had her and so did my first beagle. I made sure she didn't have any medication or food close to a car ride and made sure a window was open for air. She is fine now but especially likes a puffy pillow on the back seat high enough to look out. If you want Penny to be a bit sleepy you might try a safe dose of an allergy medicine such as Benadryl. When Molly was still getting sick we had tried Rescue Remedy and tranquilizers but they didn't help.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Roscoe has been car sick since a very young age.
Unfortunately he has not gotten over this and it does make travelling a bit difficult, as I hate to see him like that!

The vet did recommend human (childrens') motion sickness pills but we tried those and they didn't work, I am not a fan of medicating.

The alternative is making the car a happy place so to speak.
The idea is to alleviate some of the anxiety associated with the car. Bring the dog into the car but do not go anywhere! Bring treats, toys, or whatever makes your dog happy.
Stay in for small amounts of time over a week or so without going anywhere.
Then move up to short a short ride, and increase the ride little by little.
This helped us a little but I know it has cured other dogs.
It is a process so good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have never had this problem but my beagles did get restless the first few times i had them in the car, and sometimes still do... my solution for this? i sing to them hehe...happy voice and use their name as much as possible... i guess this is just another method of enforcing RosCole's suggestion of making the car ride a happy/positive event. also helps with keeping them focused on you, rather than the ride which may help the sickness...keep us informed

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, we had to leave our Penny at the boarding kennels for 2 days whilst we travelled away to my father in laws funeral. When we picked Penny up from the boarding kennels, she was so pleased to see us that she forgot she was in the car and we had an event free ride home! Hopefully, this is a milestone!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father in law.

Glad the ride home went well though, maybe all Penny needs is a good distraction!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts