Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a safety harness for the car for my pup. He going to be 14 weeks old (time sure does fly), so he still has quite a bit to grow. While one that is adjustable and will grow with him would be nice, am willing to buy a couple as he grows.

Anyone have any recomendations as to which car harnesses are good? Which ones to avoid? Any and all info is appreciated.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have one just like the one in Eleanor's picture. It clips right into the seat belt. It came with a harness, but I just clip it to Jersey's regular harness.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'd be interested in learning more about these harnesses. I've seen them at Petsmart but have no idea how effective and safe they are. We have a SUV and I hate loading the crate every time we go to the vet, puppy class or to visit friends. We could buy a divider for our car but they're like $200. So this might be a suitable and cost effective solution.

Do the dogs have room to move around with them on? And if so, can you adjust how much movement they have?

Thanks in advance, Brien

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We bought these for our dogs:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755199

It gives them a little movement, but not too much. Though Violet has to have hers very secure or she winds her way out of it. Duke it perfect with his and sits or lies down while we travel. Vi prefers to be in my lap, but she has learned to tolerate being harnessed in. These can be a pain to clip to the seatbelt if the dogs don't feel like cooperating, though. I like the one Eleanor showed.

The ones we bought are riveted for extra safety in case of an accident and the cushioned harness makes it more comfy for the dogs. Matter of fact, this is the harness i take Violet on walks with.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I got mine from Pet Edge (www.petedge.com). It came with the harness and the leash to attach it to the seat belt. The leash part of it is adjustable. I don't have mine handy so I can't measure it, but it's probably about 18 inches fully extended. Jersey has plenty of room to move around while still being safe.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well we got a harness but it didn't work for us. When we put it on Bodie he rolled on the grass like he was on fire. I've never seem him spaz out like that before. It was quite humorous actually. But we decided to take it off and resort to loading up the big crate again. I think I'm going to focus on finding a divider for our SUV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts