Our Beagle World Forums banner

Can't take it--need to adopt!

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  HyPrice 
#1 ·
Well, after the passing of my little beagle, Peanut, I just have to have another beagle. I do have my 6 month old puppy, Shadie (mini aussie), so I'm going to look into adopting an olde beagle. For sure should be 3+ but if it's around 5 or 6+ thats even better! I live in the SW corner of MN, but would be able to pay for shipping if someone can help me get the dog here. Does anyone on this board know of a beagle who needs me? Maybe some people on this board even know of those willing to help with transport? Also, I do live in an Apartment during the school year (college) but I'm only one hour from home and do come home every weekend. Here we have a fenced in yard so the dogs get to run and play, and at the apartment no fenced in yard, but there is a yard where I let my pup off leash to play, a near by park we play in, and I go on long walks. Unfortunatly a lot of shelters are not interested in me as an applicant because I don't have a permamently fenced in yard and am not a home owner!
Also, the beag has to be GREAT with other dogs and cats!

See less See more
#4 ·
On petfinder there is a section for classified ads. These are owners trying to place their own pets. You put in a zipcode and breed to get a list. You might have better luck that way than through a rescue. Some rescues will make exceptions. The rescue I volunteer with recently placed a dog with a college bound student who will live in an apartment that allows pets. She wasn't old enough to adopt on her own so her mom signed the papers. We also talked extensively with the mom who has a large house and yard and one other dog and is willing to take this one if for any reason the girl can't keep it at college. She adopted an adult dog, who is comfortable being alone in the house while the girl is at school. They walk every day and have been to obedience classes. It sounds like in the afternoon/evening they go everywhere together. So I can see how your situation could work out. Maybe you can find a rescue to work with you if you provide all the information up front and your parents are willing to go with you.

#5 ·
Jassy-
I'm actually 21, so not really in need of parents to go with me, haha. But that is good to know that a rescue made an exception for a college student in an apartment that allows pets. I will certainly head to petfinder though, thank you for the tip!

#6 ·
I was just thinking that you could have your parents go to confirm that you have a fenced yard available in their home and that they would be a back up place in case there was a problem with your college housing, or a place for your dog to stay during the week. Our rescue tries to be a little flexible on apartments. We look at sound proofing, availability of walking areas close by, and talk with the apartment manager. Sometimes it just isn't feasible but we do explore all the options.
Good Luck! There are a lot of beagles looking for great homes. I will keep my eye out for any listings in your area. I almost hate to say this because there are so many people on Craigslist for the wrong reasons, but in our area there are quite a few beagles listed. I just saw a one year old female free to a good home. You might give that a try also.

#7 ·
I certainly understand your need for a beagle. After my Shadow went to the Bridge, we got Traveler who the lady who'd rescued him thought was a beagle/dachshund mix. Who'd have thought to check his teeth! Turned out he was a 9-week old, most probably, Rhodesian Ridgeback mix.

He's a sweetheart but, after several months, the longing for a beagle had only intensified. So my search began, and I found my precious Li'l Girl at a rescue in a nearby county.

I hope that you'll be able to find your special beagle soon.

#8 ·
Jassy-I totally forgot about Craigslist, I will get on it right away. I am hesitant, as I really can't take a problem dog being a colleges student, and so many on there are, but it's worth a look!
And, good idea, duh, my parents could confirm that I do use the yard for the dogs' exercise often!
Thank you for the suggestions!

SandyJ-Thanks for sharing that with me, fingers crossed a Beagle friend chooses me soon

#9 ·
One last thought. Hearts United for Animals does do long distance adoptions and they currently have several beagles. Their adoption fee is $ 200 and then you would still need to pay shipping. There website is www.hua.org. They do require a home visit and have volunteers in most areas to do that. I am on their list for my region for home visits.

#11 ·
Good luck! I sure hope it works out. If they ask for vet references, you might want to call your vet office and give them permission to share information. Part of what I do in an adoption is check vet references and lately more and more vets are refusing to even acknowledge that the person is a client without their prior permission. It makes sense to protect privacy but it will speed things up if the vet knows ahead of time to expect a call. I will be thinking of you.

#12 ·
I keep forgetting everything I wanted to say before I submit the post. If they don't have a home visit volunteer in your area, ask if they will accept a home vist from a local rescue. I have done home visits for other rescues, and I have had other rescues offer to do visits for me so that can usually be worked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.