Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wendy is driving me crazy i cant take it no more she distoys everything she can find chewing our clothes, jumps on tablet while we are eating wees all over the house even though we thought we had house trained her.

she has lots off different toys to chew on and play with.
we cant walk her everyday but we never go 2 days without one, we dont have a garden because we live in a 2 roomed flat.

nothing we do seems to stop her from messing up our things if we shut her in the other room she will just find something to distroy awe cant crate her becase she ends up hurting herself

i have no idea what else to do she is 7 months old is this a puppy thing that she should grow out off or are we stuck with this??? we cant take her to training classes because we dont have the money and there is no one near us that does it

·
Registered
114 Posts
You sound like you have a bored beagle who needs exercise desparately. You know the expression, a tired beagle is a happy beagle.

If you can work 20 minutes in the morning, 20 minutes when you get home and 20 minutes before bed to walk her into your routine, you will see a big difference. That is not much really ( they could go for much much more ) and you probably already are spending that much time cleaning up. She will also trust that you are getting her out on a routien and housebreakig will become more trust worthy.
Add this to silly play time, supervised and interacted with toys etc..and this will be a much happier girl.
She is a baby learning her world through what you expose her to, the exercise she gets through you and how you communicate with her.

A great book to read and should be able to find easy second hand, is 'the Dog Listener' ( not to be confused with the dog whisperer who I do not recommend.)
The dog listener gives some amazing understanding and ideas for training so you can do the process yourselves.

I know it is frustrating, but try and see the world through her eyes, her whole world waiting and wiggling with excitement for what you are going to share with her today.

Deep breaths, calm interactions and more outside routine walk time. She will surprise you yet, I bet.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Isn't she pregnanat? If she is the 7 months is very very young. It's almost like a 12yr old giving birth. Has she had any training? It will help keep her calm during whelping.

You also said she was just under 2 yrs old in another post. ??

Pregnancy in Dogs - Page 1

What to Watch For

*Nesting behavior (attempting to make a nest by tearing up papers, blankets, etc.)
[0*
Mothering activity (this may include mothering of shoes, toys and other articles)

*Weight gain (which typically occurs after the 4th week of pregnancy)

*Abdominal enlargement or swelling

*Mammary gland enlargement. The mammary glands may be large and secrete milk or serous fluid.

*Abnormal behavior. If your dog does not eat, acts lethargic or you notice excessive vaginal discharge, please call your veterinarian as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Books

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0931866219/k9webA/"]Canine Reproduction[/ame], Phyllis A Holst, MS, DVM, Alpine Publications, 1985. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0866226559/k9webA/"]Dog Breeding for Professionals[/ame], Dr. Herbert Richards, TFH Publications, Inc., 1978.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0876057407/k9webA/"]Successful Dog Breeding[/ame], [ame="http://home.revealed.net/walkoway/"]Chris Walkowicz[/ame] & Bonnie Wilcox, DVM, Howell Book House, 1994.
Articles

AKC Gazette, August 1995. Web Resources

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Books

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fexec%2Fobidos%2FISBN%3D0931866219%2Fk9webA%2F&tag=5336338037-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325"]Canine Reproduction[/ame], Phyllis A Holst, MS, DVM, Alpine Publications, 1985.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fexec%2Fobidos%2FISBN%3D0866226559%2Fk9webA%2F&tag=5336338037-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325"]Dog Breeding for Professionals[/ame], Dr. Herbert Richards, TFH Publications, Inc., 1978.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fexec%2Fobidos%2FISBN%3D0876057407%2Fk9webA%2F&tag=5336338037-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325"]Successful Dog Breeding[/ame], [ame="http://home.revealed.net/walkoway/"]Chris Walkowicz[/ame] & Bonnie Wilcox, DVM, Howell Book House, 1994.

Articles

AKC Gazette, August 1995. Web Resources

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like a typical bored out of their mind dog. This dog needs training and excersise, DAILY. she is still a puppy. and needs guidence.

Sorry it may sound harsh. But every thing she does is your fault, you leave her the opportunity to destroy things and use the washroom in the house, since she isnt be watched 100% when free from a crate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You must walk a puppy multiple times a day - anything else is just cruel (unless she has a yard to run in). If we did not take our 7 month beagle out everyday, 5-6 times a day, almost always with a trip to the dog park, she would be IMPOSSIBLE. I guess that's what you are experiencing. Since you say you can't take her out, you need to find someone who can help you for free (or very little fee). Perhaps there is some beagle loving person nearby who would like the chance to walk your pup a few times a week? In any case, when you do take her out, jog with her a little to make the walk really count (do not run too fast). I know nothing about pregnant dogs, and if yours is, perhaps running is not the best idea. A dog of any age, but especially a puppy, needs stimulation and exercise to be happy. An unhappy dog will make an unhappy owner.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dillon is just starting to display some of these behaviors at 9 months of age. My other dogs were never this rowdy, and I've had many dogs of many breeds, with all the fosters and rescues I used to do. I actually spend more time with Dillon than I did with most of my other dogs as puppies because I worked full time then. Some breeds need more activity than others.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wendy isnt pregant yet and im not a bad owner!!!!! i love wendy and couldnt ever get rid off her, i will do my best to walk her more

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
wendy isnt pregant yet and im not a bad owner!!!!! i love wendy and couldnt ever get rid off her, i will do my best to walk her more
I dislike liars and trolls more then I do ignorant people who breed carelssly.

Puppies

Our lovely beagle is pregnant :)
We are planing on keeping 2 off her puppies another 2 girls :D
but problem is we are stuck for names anyone have any idea??:giggle:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
she will be pregnant so i wanted to get all the info i could so i know excally what to do before it happens!!

and just to let u know off course we dnt know how many she will have but we will keeep 2 off her puppies so thats 2 tht already will have a home my husbands family will have one and the male that we will breed her with his owner wants another male so thats 4 puppies that will have a home!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
A tired pup is a well behaved pup.
I'm sorry, but I really do not think thats always the case. Our dog was very destructive at the same age as the OP. He also had trouble with going out for toilet breaks.

I take our dog for a run everyday, my wife has taught him lots of tricks to keep him active, yet he would destroy anything he could in our home. We have had to buy new dining room furniture as he chewed the leather off the chairs and pulled all the foam out, he gnawed on drawers in the kitchen, any toy the kids left was obviously ruined, anything we gave him to sleep in was in bits in seconds.

After a lot of consideration of giving up on him, someone who had a similar problem with a german shepard suggested putting a muzzle on him when in doors. We tried a lot of them before we found one that looked comfy and he could still drink etc. So any time he wasn't able to be supervised he wore the muzzle. I can not tell you what a difference this has made to all of our lives. Now he hardly needs the muzzle, only if we catch him chewing something he shouldnt, which isn't anywhere near as often.

I am sure there are loads of people on here who perhaps disagree with this method, but this has allowed us to keep Sonic in a lovely family home, rather than him going for adoption and passed about all over when he destroys the next home.

I searched on here and spoke to all sorts of experts about him, with relentless energy, jumping all over our kids etc, we tried all the things suggested to us first before doing this and I can honestly say we have all come out the other side better for it.

Andy

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'm sorry, but I really do not think thats always the case. Our dog was very destructive at the same age as the OP. He also had trouble with going out for toilet breaks.

I take our dog for a run everyday, my wife has taught him lots of tricks to keep him active, yet he would destroy anything he could in our home. We have had to buy new dining room furniture as he chewed the leather off the chairs and pulled all the foam out, he gnawed on drawers in the kitchen, any toy the kids left was obviously ruined, anything we gave him to sleep in was in bits in seconds.

After a lot of consideration of giving up on him, someone who had a similar problem with a german shepard suggested putting a muzzle on him when in doors. We tried a lot of them before we found one that looked comfy and he could still drink etc. So any time he wasn't able to be supervised he wore the muzzle. I can not tell you what a difference this has made to all of our lives. Now he hardly needs the muzzle, only if we catch him chewing something he shouldnt, which isn't anywhere near as often.

I am sure there are loads of people on here who perhaps disagree with this method, but this has allowed us to keep Sonic in a lovely family home, rather than him going for adoption and passed about all over when he destroys the next home.

I searched on here and spoke to all sorts of experts about him, with relentless energy, jumping all over our kids etc, we tried all the things suggested to us first before doing this and I can honestly say we have all come out the other side better for it.

Andy
I think some dogs go through what is comparable to a teenage stage in human children. I think that is what Dillon is going through now. He gets more "structured" exercise because of me being semi-retired, than all the other dogs I've had, and he is the worst for tearing things up in the house and just generally being devilish.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I dislike liars and trolls more then I do ignorant people who breed carelssly.

Puppies

Our lovely beagle is pregnant :)
We are planing on keeping 2 off her puppies another 2 girls :D
but problem is we are stuck for names anyone have any idea??:giggle:

LIARS are a big issue with me also. Once I catch someone in a lie, I tend to disregard everything else they say or quote.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You should get her spayed. if you can not handle ONE dog how will you handle THREE. WHY breed her? and why did you say you already did? nothing more then being a lying back yard breeder. At this age you dont even know if she will be a good breeding bitch or not. breeding this dog at this age IMO makes you a bad owner. plain and simple!

·
Registered
398 Posts
well we arent going to
how would u like it if u cut u open and took ur parts out for having kids
Iam a human. not a dog. Dogs dont have feelings like that. If you cant train ONE dog to not toliet in the house. how will you train 3? if you cant excersise ONE dog how will you do THREE. bitchs are not called bitchs for no reason. having 3 intact females (like you plan too) will prob cause alot of problems, espeacially since 2 will be litter mates (if your bitch has 2 females you keep) sorry but this is just plain irresponsible on your part. disgusting. I wish i could be shocked, but BYBs like you are a dime a dozen.

at the VERY least they should be tested prior for breeding for: Epilepsy, Thyroid abnormalities, Hip Dysplasia, Eye problems, and Disc Disease

1 - 20 of 131 Posts