Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken their beagles on a canoe trip before? I'm going on a float trip tomorrow and am thinking of taking Rex with me. I'm just worried about how he'll behave on the river.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chris:
Has anyone taken their beagles on a canoe trip before? I'm going on a float trip tomorrow and am thinking of taking Rex with me. I'm just worried about how he'll behave on the river.
Chris, if Rex is ok around water--no problem . But if not better either plan on getting wet or not taking Rex. Also if you do you might want to put a life vest on him. Some dogs don't swim as good as some people think they do. JMHO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, there's a lake right behind our apartment that he always walks into. Usually, though, he'll only walk into it about halfway up his legs. He did fall off a dock once, and managed to do alright swimming back to the shore. I think I'm going to end up bringing him with me, since we aren't camping this time, and if he does alright, he can come on our future trips that last the entire weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I have taken my two camping and they loved it but never out in a canoe. I would just suggest keeping a leash on him so if you tip and he goes in and can't swim, you can grab a hold of him. Either that or buy him a life jacket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My beagle (the world's best dog, and my best buddy), has traveled thousands of miles on the bow of my canoe. He occasionally falls in, which is why I recommend a dog PFD. A tether is OK, as long as there is absolutely no chance that the tether might be caught on something, and result in drowning the dog. (that is, canoeing a lake with a tether is ok, while a tether on a twisty class 2 stream would dictate NO tether.)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Canoeing would defintily warrent a life vest, the kind with the handel on top.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i havn't taken my olly on a conoe but he gos stand up paddling with me and my partener all the time, just sits on the nose of the board looking at things in the water and he loves it but as you can see in my photos he wears a dog life jacket even though he can swim well it gives me peace of mind and is easy to grab him out of the water with the handle on top.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My beagle loves to go in the canoe and will sit quietly the whole way but loves to get out and explore every chance she gets. She also sits on the bow of the kayak and goes around the lake. We are hoping to add puupy to the canoe ride this summer which may be interesting and a life jacket is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the beagle we had years ago when we lived on a lake LOVED the water and would swim beside the boat or follow on the ban; until you let him in the boat. Once in, he'd find an observation point and sit there.

Never took him canoeing, but he loved to ride in any and all other kinds of boats he came across.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts