Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Beagle that falls asleep sitting up all the time. I was half joking about it, but asked on another forum I belong to whether there was such a thing as canine narcolepsy. I decided to do a little online research and found that indeed it does exist. It has helped me to determine that it is most likely NOT a concern for my little Beagle, but I found it to be very interesting. If you have 2-3 minutes watch this video and see what happens to dogs with narcolepsy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_hwbp97eU

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Fascinating - thank goodness that this is not a concern for you. I am convinced that dogs can get any disease/condition that humans get. I did think that human narcoleptics actually did fall asleep but, from what the moderator is saying in the video, the dogs are actually awake -- they just lose all muscle tone. If the pup you were concerned about is the one sitting in your pic (not certain which one that is), am wondering if he/she just didn't have enough room to spread out so opted for a sitting-up nap!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally Posted By: judymaggie If the pup you were concerned about is the one sitting in your pic (not certain which one that is), am wondering if he/she just didn't have enough room to spread out so opted for a sitting-up nap!
It is the one that is sitting up that I was a little concerned about. He does that though no matter where he is and/or how much room he has. He just seems to relax so easily and just closes his eyes for a quick nap. lol As for not having enough room...well I could add a few more pictures here to show you ...he takes the room whether it is there or not.

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hmmm, very interesting. I never knew that dogs could be narcoleptic. It doesn't look like Tate has anything like those dogs in the video though. Maybe he's not napping, just resting his eyes. That's what my aunt says when I find her sleeping in her chair in front of the TV. LOL! And it looks like poor Sam is always the one getting laid on.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
That is so sad for the poor dogs that have this. It unfortunate that human meds won't work for them.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally Posted By: jassyThat is so sad for the poor dogs that have this. It unfortunate that human meds won't work for them.
I watched several youtube videos last night on this subject. Some of them did say that the dogs were put on antidepressants so I do think that some meds can help them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts