Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caesar has problems jumping onto the sofa. Sometimes he can jump up but other times he'll put his front paws up on the sofa and rock back and forth like he wants to jump up but can't. So then we pick him up and put him on the sofa beside us. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our Snoopy jumps very high, Susi has more difficulty. Do you get the impression that Ceasar has pain when jumping or is he just nervous? Some beagles do have back problems, but it doesnt have to be Caesars reason. Is it something new?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky will jump on the couch but he refuses to jump on the bed. It is a little higher though. He will jump on the bed if he gets a running start. Otherwise, he puts his front paws up and whines for us to pick him up. I think Lucky is just lazy! :raspberry:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's never been a jumper but he has always been able to jump on the sofa. He has never been able to jump on the bed either. This is something new.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oliver jumps high and has very strong legs, a natural athlete.

I was thinking the same thing regarding Ceaser, did it just start? does he jump up on anything else?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd get him checked out just in case he damaged something since he was able to jump on the couch before. Or, it's possible that he tried the jump recently and missed, and has lost his confidence.

Like Oliver, Gage is very athletic and jumps all the time. He likes to take a running start and leap up to the back of the couch, which is about three feet off the ground, even though we discourage it. I've heard they can damage their backs from jumping very easily because they're so long.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie can jump really high although I don't want her to and prevent it whenever I can. Up and down from the couch is no problem though.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker has never had much confidence jumping and has always had to have a running start - and as she gets older she has lost more and more of what little confidence she has and now she either has to take a REALLY long running start (starting well off in the other room...) or she just puts her front paws up and gets us to lift her. Jumping for Booker has always been a mind thing.

Moose and Popcorn, on the other hand, don't seem to have to think about jumping at all - one minute they are standing beside the bed or couch and the next they just "sproing" up onto it.

It sounds like Caesar is more like Booker, if he refuses already to jump on the bed which is higher than the sofa. For peace of mind you may want to get him checked out, though... but it could very well just be that he missed once or twice and lost his confidence. You could try eating something that he wants to share up on the sofa - and see if he gets over the mental hurdle in the quest for food... that has definitely worked with Booker in the past when she has had a temporary crisis of confidence in her jumping ability!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Caesar's Mom:
he'll put his front paws up on the sofa and rock back and forth like he wants to jump up but can't.
Maggie used to do this exact same thing. My vet, who I have the utmost confidence in, advised that this hesitancy most likely resulted from discomfort. With Maggie it was arthritic changes in her back legs. I would suggest that you have Caesar checked by the vet and describe what you see.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would have him checked. If he could always jump up and suddenly can't or won't, he may be hurting. Jersey must be part Tigger. Bed's and sofas are no problem. She can jump over the back of the sofa if we let her. I do my best to keep her from doing that too much, but sometimes she just gets too excited!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Charlie will jump so high, and flips backward sometimes. I try to calm him down when he is doing that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Our girls rock backwards and forwards when trying to jump when they have just woken up or are too buggered to jump.

But other times they get over excited and jump too early and miss the lounge, or just to late and hit the side. Funny stuff :biglaugh:

(... Erin)

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I think Foxy Roo is our jumper, she is fearless and is like Tigger and she can spring like a cat
This is Foxy... :bounce: She is quite small so there is less of her to move.

Caleb is a climber aand likes to walk along walls and lie on the back of the settee but he's not a jumper!

Gwenni bounces up and down a lot "We call it wigging" so hence Gwenni Wig Wig. She does'nt jump so much as bob up and down on the spot and she is a waver and likes to wave her paws at you.

I would get Ceaser checked out by the vet.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I decided to test him. He loves tortilla chips so grabbed one, showed it to him and then ran into the living room and jumped on the couch. He was on my heels the entire time and jumped up no problem. He just kept staring at the chip in my hand so I gave him a little piece. I tried this again later with one of his treats. Same thing. He jumped up without hesitation and didn't seem to bother him at all. I'll keep an eye on him. He's not exactly graceful so maybe he did fall and lose his confidence. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Charlie mom:
Charlie will jump so high, and flips backward sometimes. I try to calm him down when he is doing that.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif
Like a back flip? I have got to see this /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
both of mine love to jump, especially DOWN the steps to the basement. Their kennels are down there, and we're walking down there with Kongs full of peanutbutter, they FLY down the steps!!! :animal18:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Fin is an exceptional jumper, except for last night when he got into one of his moods where he runs around the house as fast as he can jumping on every bed. Well last night he miscalculated the the edge of the bed and made a leap face first into the mattress. It didn't deter him of course, he just shook his head and jumped again. Thus continuing his sprint trials around the house...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to be sure, I made an appointment for this afternoon to get him checked out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Let us know how it goes Caesar's Mom.

Quote:Originally posted by rjdmtb:
Quote:Originally posted by Charlie mom:
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif
Like a back flip? I have got to see this /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I can't speak for Charlie's Mom but when Gage does that, it's basically exactly like a backflip. It only happens when he's very excited, usually when he's trying to grab something that's high in the air.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts