Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering who else's beagles do tricks?

When Harry was about 6 months old, we did a clicker training class with him, and it helped us to teach him tricks...
here is his repertoire:

Paw
Other Paw
Beagle Five (high 5)
Sneak (leopard crawling along the ground)
Bow (play bow - front legs down, bum in air)
Tap (he taps my ankles with his feet - left right, left right)
dance (jumps in small circles on back legs)
and he jumps thru a hula hoop
and his grand finale, best trick ever...
he can switch on a lamp!! its one of those that you switch on with your feet... I have a video.. can you upload videos on this site?

anyway, heres a pic of Beagle Five

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wow, that's quite a repertoire..... very nice, Harry.

You can upload YouTube/Photobucket/Imageshack... videos. Not directly from your computer.... Would love to see him switch on the light

·
Registered
87 Posts
Geckogirl, that's a pretty awesome list of tricks. Can you explain how you taught Harry tap, bow, and sneak? I'd love to teach my pup those!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie does high five, shake , wave, roll over, take a bow, right spin, left spin, touch (touch my hand or an object I designate with her nose or paw), place(come from where ever she is in the house and sit at my left side), crawl, leave a treat between her paws until I tell her to eat it, and we are currently working on yawn when I say are you so sleepy. I am always looking for new ideas of things to teach her. Sometimes I will start her with one trick like roll over and then say what else can you do, and she will do another trick. I also try to teach her each trick with just a hand signal and just a voice command so I try to remember to alternate which one I use.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would love to teach these to my dogs in secret and spring them on my boyfriend someday. Those are great tricks!

My two only know basic commands, though I am working with Spock on something that I'm not sure will work - I'm giving him choices by asking him questions as to what he wants to do. I guess I'm trying to sharpen his reasoning skills; it could turn out to be a waste of time, but it's fun, nonetheless, and I think Spock is intelligent enough to understand at least some of what I'm saying. Do you want to go outside [the key word] with Bones, or do you want to stay with mommy and daddy? I usually ask twice. If I'm at the back door with the door open and he doesn't go out, I shut it and walk away if he doesn't respond to outside with going out. He already knows and obeys go find daddy, and I was so proud of both of them when I was in the bedroom and told them to go outside, and I heard them run out the open back door (open to let some of the relatively cooler air into my AC-less house).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, harry also spins left and right...

Little oscar is still learning to beg and roll over... he can spin left and right too...

here is Harry switching on the light - he was only about 6 months old here... he's better at it now

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jassy-
Would you mind over e-mail explaining how you taught Maggie some of those tricks? I'd love to teach Shadie. I've taught her all she knows right now- sit, stay, come, leave it, shake, and roll over. It would be fun to do some more unique things! Did you use a trainer to teach these things, or do them yourself? my e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:Geckogirl, that's a pretty awesome list of tricks. Can you explain how you taught Harry tap, bow, and sneak? I'd love to teach my pup those!
We went to a clicker training course with him, which made tricks SO much easier than i would have imagined!!

TAP: he is generally a very curious, confident dog... so when there is something new around, and he knows i'm expecting something from him (ie - i have a treat he wants and i give him an expectant look and say what is it? do u want it?? an a very exciting voice) ... he generally touches the new thing with his paw (whether the new thing is a little box, or anything)... one day i had him stand infront of me, and i stuck out my left leg and showed him the treat, gave him the look and after him trying a few things he knows i like (barking, sitting, downing) he pawed my leg... I clicked and treated... repeated a few times and tried the other leg

BOW: he play bowed A LOT when he was a pup... each time he did it, i clicked and treated him... slowly add a verbal and hand signal

SNEAK: same as bow... he did it by himself, i clicked and treated...
YOu can also get your dog in a DOWN and hold a little treat just infront of his nose and sort of drag it along infront of him... you might need to ut your hand on his back (gently) to stop him from popping up

but with some practice, its really fun, and not as hard as you think! PROMISE!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Sure Chantel, I will e-mail you later this evening. I am driving kids various places today.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey can do some tricks too. She can crawl, shake, high 5, touch (her nose to my hand) and roll over. We're currently working on spin left and spin right. So far, she's been too excited when I've tried working with her and we haven't been too successful. I taught her hand signals for her obedience class graduation to do stop (sit), drop (down) and roll (roll over). She was so cute. Last night I was looking online for some classes to take Jersey to for some more obedience. One class is a trick class and looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue does: shake, fist bump, high five, wave hello, sit, lay down, crawl, roll over, play dead, he kind of gets leave it and drop it (sometimes, but never for Mom), and he knows the name of all of his toys and can pick the one you ask him for. He has one we call drama queen, but he never does that one on command!!! ;-) We have also started on put it away so we don't always have to be the ones picking up the toys!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Cobi doesn't do dog tricks, he likes human tricks better, opening the refrigerator, climbing in the tub, flying off the bed, sneaking up on innocent birds, emptying the garbage....nope no dog tricks here.

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
That's a great list, that light thing is cool. Daisy is so cute too Smeagle. Spencer & Sydney can sit, stay, wait, come, park it, high 5, give me 5, & roll over.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our first beagle, Bilbo, would sit and wait with a piece of food in front of her, until we said she could have it. Whilst on holiday in Morocco we were invited into a famillies home for breakfast with Bilbo!! This was a great honour as Berbers dont normally allow dogs in the house. We had saved a member of the famillies life, but thats another story.
We were given large thin pizza type bread for breakfast whilst we all sat on the sandy floor. I decided to show them Bilbos trick and did so with a tiny piece of this bread. Well they were all fascinated and started doing the same until we thought she would explode.
Our present two dont do tricks, but they do sit when we tell them to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts