Our Beagle World Forums banner

Can you teach them to stop arooing?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  threedognight 
#1 ·
You southerners will laugh, but I'm not enjoying the NY heat and Gage doesn't like it either. We don't take Gage for walks and runs until 8 or 9 at night, because it's cooler.

The only problem is that there are lots of fresh scent trails around those times, and it's too early or too late for lots of noise. Gage doesn't care about the time, and wants to announce the fact that he's found a scent to the whole world. He's so focused on it that he doesn't listen. I've trained him to stop barking on command. Is there any way to teach him to stop tonguing?

#2 ·
If you find a way, please let me know!

I live in major racoon territory and they love to go down the storm drains. Keep in mind that we only get on average 16 inches of rain a year so they are certainly not going to drown! Anyway, when I take my three for their walk, they literally have every storm drain committed to memory and we go from drain to drain aroooooing at the top of their lungs that "the Beagles" have arrived. Of course when the three of them get their heads down the drain the sound is amplified and ramped up 3 or 4 times what the sounds was before they stuck their head down the drain! :biglaugh:

My husband has said that he has heard them 1/2 mile away. Thank heavens they only get the scent and not the real live racoon. If they did the poor thing would be deaf. It is a real case of the nose switches on and the ears switch off. :smack:

#4 ·
So it's a no go huh? Maybe I'll feed him something sticky like peanut butter so he'll be too busy licking to bark. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Maybe next year Joe. For one of our teams at least. I didn't get a chance to watch much this season unfortunately.

#8 ·
One thing we have found works sometimes with Moose is to give him a toy to carry along on his walk. He has to be in the right mood and it certainly doesn't work always, but he is usually quite toy-fixated and therefore if and when he is in that right mood he will basically become so focused on proudly carrying his toy along that he ignores pretty much every sound, scent and other dog in the vicinity... It would never work with our other two, but if your beagle is somewhat toy-fixated it might be worth a try.

#10 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Mom of 2 Beagles:
When ours get on a scent trail in the back yard there is no quieting their baying and tonging. Only thing I can do is to chase them down and bring them inside against their wills if it is very early in the morning. The neighbors don't like all that noise so early. :redface:
You too, Huh?? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif . A few mornings ago I had to get up at 4 AM. I let the dogs out to do their business, only to find a rabbit right outside the door. My neighbor's got a REALLY early wake up call while I scrambled to get Bailey back inside!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.