Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the two Beagles, Noa 7 and Kim 5. Kim loves to chase balls and sticks. She loves to play with other dogs. Noa on the other hand takes no interest in playing with any toys or chasing after anything. Last week we did get her to amble after a ball and she actually picked it up. She sometimes looks as if she wants to join in but looks scared. The two dogs were brought up together. I have a feeling that when Kim the youngest arrived the ex owners maybe told Noa to let Kim get the balls and play with the toys but I might be wrong. I sort of feel sorry for Noa. She seems to be always on the sidelines wanting to join in but not knowing how to.

With other dogs she shows her teeth and growls a little. She doesn't do more than that but she will not play. If Kim is playing with another dog, Noa gets really upset as if she thinks Kim is being hurt.

I wish I could find some way of making her more playful and sociable. I feel she is missing out on a lot.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks,
Rosie

·
Registered
890 Posts
We have the same issue with Tucker. He just doesn't know how to play very well. We have tried many different toys and have found a few that he likes so we maily get those for him. He doesn't really play with them, but he does like holding them in his mouth. I don't really don't have an answer, just the same problem. He is 9 by the way and has been this way since we got him at 1 1/2. We think that he didn't play much as a puppy because he was real sick when little. Then he has always been with seniors who didn't play much so he never learned.

Now we have 2 1 1/2 year olds that love to play. Tuck tries to join sometimes, but they are just too fast for him.

·
Registered
220 Posts
c.b. will play a little if he is alone, but when my other two dogs are around he just watches. the other two are so much faster they always get the toy and c.b. gets left out,and has learned to not even participate.
maybe try some one on one time with just you and noa and see what happens.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou for your thoughts. I think some alone time would be a good idea. Noa is the same, she knows that Kim always gets anything thrown so does not try. She did have one attempt a couple of weeks ago by the local pond and kim fought her for a ball and pushed her head under water. :(

·
Registered
959 Posts
Cobi is the same way, he just doesn't play. He will for awhile, and then he wants to sit and watch. He is 9.....but definitely NOT out of the game. He chases Cobi the two year old around the house, and then steps out of the circles, ane watches Casie chase himself until he realizes that Cobi is not behind him. It's a cruel big brother joke, but they love it. Cobi has always been a very serious, intent dog....figure he'd be Einstein if he were a person. :eek:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we had a breakthrough yesterday and I was so happy about it. We were at the local pond in the woods. Kim always swims and chases after balls and sticks in the water. Suddenly Noa joined in for the first time ever. She had such fun going into the water and bringing back sticks. She didn't dare swim but was in pretty deep. Now to stop her growling at other dogs! I don't think Noa is Einstein but she often looks deep in thought. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts