Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our beagles have been getting very noisy when they wake up in the morning, because we gate them from the bedroom. Their beds are in the hallway outside the door. Once we let them in, or even once we get out of bed, they quiet down. So, I'm wondering if we should try training them to sleep in their beds without the gate up, or, I dare say, in the bedroom. I'd much rather wake up to them jumping in bed with us in the morning or licking us, then dealing with the high pitched whining of Ruby. We don't want them in bed with us all night, though. Is it possible? Has anyone had any luck training theirs to stay in their own bed through the night?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry sleeps in his own bed during the day and crate during the night. But he's not allowed on the furniture either. Hmmm. It did take a lot of persistance to get him to follow the command to get on his bed.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
No luck here...but we put Maggie in bed with us the very first night we got her, and the rest is history. I did try a few months ago to get her to sleep in her own bed, but no go.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Try what they call a pocket tether. It's really an 18 inch chain with a hook on each side. You hook one to the dog's collar and one to an eye bolt fastened in your wall. If you position it next to your bed then they can put their front feet up to you when they need to, but they cannot get close enough to jump up on the bed. We have done this with a few of our dogs as pups because they feel better being closer to you but it doesn't allow them any more freedom than to stand up, turn around, and lay back down on their bed. Great while housebreaking because they won't eliminate on their beds (if they can help it). When they get they idea that they are to sleep next to you (not with you) you can try a night or two without the chain and see if they stay on their beds. Hopefully that will work for you.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yes, our beagles are trained to sleep in their queen size bed with four coverlets and sheets. We have no trouble keeping them there, since they think it's their bed, and they are allowing US to sleep in OUR bed. Dh sleeps in the normal 2/3 of the bed, one of the beagles sleeps horizontally and the other curled up in a ball. They all seem to think that I am 3 ft tall and don't need much room. So I'm allowed to sleep on the couch 1/2 of the night.
Beagles and dh's are so much fun!

Cathy
owned by Casie and Cobi

·
Registered
847 Posts
We have Bodie's bed in our bedroom and he's fine. We're used to all his nighttime sounds so he doesn't disturb us. Sometimes he'll get up earlier than us and rustle around or jump up on the bed. But usually he's still sound asleep when we get up.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl sleeps on her bed at the foot of my bed. She doesn't want to sleep with me, but wants to be close. Her little snores, snuffles, snorts, etc., aren't noticeable since I'm used to them. The only time she wakes me is when she gets uncovered, and needs Mom to put the cover back on.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie sleeps on a kuranda bed in her crate at night. When she reached the stage where she was not destructive we started trying to let her sleep with my daughter at night but she goes back to the crate every time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
sophie sleeps on a folded towel next to me on the floor beside my bed. i get up alot more than she does, lol.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I didn't think it would be possible to get ours to sleep on their own beds, but it is! Rocky really was easy, he LOVES his pillow/bed. Daisy slept with us for quite some time and we didn't really mind until one day she had an accident on the bed and pretty much ruined my down comforter. Anyway, they're allowed to get on the bed but they sleep in their own beds at night. Like I said, Rocky was no trouble, he loves curling up in his bed with a blanket. Daisy took about a week to really get used to it and stop constantly jumping on our bed at night.

They now both sleep in their own beds, with their own blankets at the foot of our bed. Although sometimes Daisy will get up in the middle of the night, jump on to the bed, lick one of us and then get back off and go back to her bed. They actually are pretty spoiled because they've each got a huge doggie pillow and on top of that a round bed with a blanket.

Anyway, long response to basically say YES it can be done!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours have their beds in our bedroom. At first they joined us in bed, but chose later to sleep in their own bed/beds. usually they share one. Give it a try and see what happens. We keep the bedroom door shut though, or else they would be running up and down stairs all night, checking their food bowls!

·
Registered
650 Posts
When I had just two dogs, separate beds worked out OK. Since the day I got him, Bailey has taken command of this old rocking chair that is HIS!! Over time Chloe and Ginger (and now Gabby) have decided that they liked my expensive sofa instead of thier beds. A few months ago I got them thier own futon, some old blankets, and they were in business. Jake started out sleeping in his crate until several times I found him asleep with Gabby and Chloe on the futon. He's been sleeping with them ever since.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
At first Coco slept
in his bed for the first couple of nights I got him but then I felt bad for him sleeping alone & he was sick so I bought him on my bed and has been there ever since. I have tired to get him to go to his bed now...but it's not happening...anyone who could do it, kudos to you

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm going to have to start getting Abby to sleep on the floor. She likes to wiggle under my covers in the middle of the night waking me up. And it gets crowded when the boyfriend comes over! She does good when he brings his dog over and they play on the floor off and on throughout the night. But I love her company and her keeping me warm on those cold nights. Ahh what a dilemma!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally Posted By: Don & ErnieOur beagles have been getting very noisy when they wake up in the morning, because we gate them from the bedroom. Their beds are in the hallway outside the door. Once we let them in, or even once we get out of bed, they quiet down. So, I'm wondering if we should try training them to sleep in their beds without the gate up, or, I dare say, in the bedroom.
Why not just put their beds on the floor in your bedroom? Most dogs want to be near you. It shouldn't be much trouble to teach them not to jump on the bed.

Our dogs each have a bed in the bedroom. They can hang out on the bed whether we're on it or not, but when the light goes out, they have to get in their own beds. They're fine with that, the little bed hogs.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
BEAGS SLEEPING W/O THE BIG DOGS/?!!! Oh, shure, that is
possible, but not very likely! (The best part of owning a
beag is having them warm your bed!) Goober, my best friend
for over 16 yrs warmed my bed for me & now Jethro the beag
pup has learned to do the same thing!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Ummm, I think my beags have claimed our king size, pillow top bed as their own!

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
No help here -- I enjoy the furry bedwarmers! They do have their own bed in the bedroom, but Lucy thinks her spot is in the big bed, and Flora takes foot warming duty until sneaking out to her own bed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts