Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/gaah.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh.gif I need a reminder - why is it I insist on having Beagles? Ok - let me set the scene: I get home from work a little before 4:30. Me & the Beaglebratz are outside within 10 minutes. (Oh, a little more scenery - my neighbor is having his bakyard re-landscaped so their wood fence was taken out - my chainlink fence is still there but when the wood posts were removed - it left about a 6" hole on either side of MY fence). Well, in the past 2 weeks Shiloh has skinnied his way out twice - I can't move very fast & of course Shiloh won't listen when I yell NO or LEAVE IT. I FINALLY got smart & started using a retractable lead when we go out & most of the places where he has gotten out are covered or blocked in some way - except for 1 and he knows it. I still can't figure out what exactly happened - the leash was on but I wasn't able to retract it fast enuf. So out he slithered really quik. I figured ok - I've still got the leash attached so I slowly retracted it. I was doing ok however Shiloh knows that when he turns around so that he is facing me - it is sooooooo very easy for him to just slide that collar right off - which is what happened. I didn't look at my watch but knowing that we went out really quik after I got home, I figured it was no later than 4:45 when he got out. He never did go far in any one direction - thank goodness for any rabbit scent around cause that is what slowed him down & kept him within two blocks. But with my inability to run & I have a hard time moving fast & he is so quik - it was close to an hour before I was able to catch him - and that was only because he was tiring (thank goodness). I had to take Shasta with me since being deaf in one ear I can't distinguish where sounds are coming from. Everytime Shiloh barked - Shasta took me in his direction. Anyway, now there is a large play ball tucked tight in that hole plus I am going to stand by it but Shiloh will likely wear his Halti until something more can be done to fix that hole. I'm still trying to figure out why Shasta never follows him out - she sees exactly how he gets out but no, all she does is pace along the fence as she watches Shiloh take off.

Anyway, I gotta go feed them now - I didn't want to feed them rite after - Shiloh was panting so very hard (gee, wonder why /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nono5.gif ) Alls well that ends well - I'm just totally wiped out now - early bedtime tonite. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Well, because beagles are like men, only they smell better, don't argue with you, eat whatever is put in front of them, burnt or not, and will even kiss the ground you walk on /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Oh Kim, you must not only be exhausted, but you were probably scared to death! I'm glad Shasta was such a good little helper finding him, and I'm glad everything turned out OK.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I love it that Shasta helps you find him.

Regarding the hole: Go to Home Depot and get some chicken wire. It's about $8.00 for a small roll, and you can cover any holes/gaps in your fence easily. My Daisy has figured out that she can CLIMB my chain link fence, (I promise I will not let her text message Shiloh on how to do this), so I attached some chicken wire to the top of my chain link and folded it in a bit. Now she just looks up at it, and seems a little perturbed at me. (Although she is most likely figuring out a way to unhook it and get out anyway...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts