Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some out-of-town business from 4/10 - 4/20 so I dropped Oreo off at the boarding kennel that I use. Even though I had fun on my trips (to NYC and then to SF), it was excruciating being away from him for so long. Mind you, I trust the kennel folks completely and he seems to enjoy himself there.

But this was the first time I'd gone so long without him. Prior to adopting Oreo, I've always gone overseas for vacations (usually around EOY). How am I supposed to do that now!?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
personally we always leave any dog we've had with a friend or family member and only one that likes and is liked by the dog, We recently spent a weekend away and i had a friend come and look after my ted and it was soo nice to get 4 daily txts with full updates on the pup as well as the occasional picture of him lounging around the house. I say go on as you have before, if you love your kennel i'd say stick to them. Distance makes the heart grow fonder or so they say, the reunion is always special after trips and vacations.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I understand how you feel. I hate it when I have to leave Jersey. I'm fortunate and have family and friend's to leave her with. If you like and trust your kennel, keep using them. Oreo will be fine and you still deserve to get your time away.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it weren't for my parents, I would probably never leave my house. I know that doesn't help you any, but since having Totti I've been to Florida (live in PA) twice for 5 days and 8 days and couldn't stand being away from him for longer than a day.

As long as you trust the kennel, you should be fine with going away.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just can't do it. I never leave my house for more than a few hours at a time and when I do, I make sure that one of my girls can watch over the dogs. I think I have Separation Anxiety...not the dogs. lol

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
For our first beagle we found a family who looked after dogs for extra cash. We left Bilbo a lot to fly on business for up to a week, or to visit the UK before they allowed dogs in.Otherwise we took Bilbo everywhere on holiday, even to the Iranian border and north africa.
Our second beagle spent quite a bit of time in good kennels, if we had to leave her, but developed a fear against bangs (shooting etc) so the kennels wouldnt take her anymore.

Our present two are rescues, ex research, and we dont leave them at all apart from shopping and eating out.

If you have found kennels that you trust then I'd say take a trip abroad. A dog doesnt know time as we do and will just be pleased to see you on your return.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Vinny and Miles love going to the place where we board them. We always get them a suite which is a private room with a window and a big bed. I hate boarding them as it is and I can't stand the thought of them being in a big room with 50 other dogs in cages barking all day and all night.

Thankfully the wife and I love Disney and go there alot and it only takes us 35 minutes to get there. We never stay more than a couple of hours so we don't have to board the boys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts