Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to run, usually around 3 to 4 miles at a time. When Buckley Wilson Hall is full grown, will he be able to go on these jogs with me?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
He can run with you, but it is recommended that you only take him when he is 1.5 years old. And even then, get him used to it gradually...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
He can run with you, but it is recommended that you only take him when he is 1.5 years old. And even then, get him used to it gradually...
Why 1.5 years?

We ran with my old roommates lab when he was 6-7 months old.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:Originally posted by GloverCharlie:
Wow thats a long name lol where does it come from?
First name Buckley
Middle name: Wilson
My last name and now his: Hall

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by fsufan:
Why 1.5 years?

Because he needs to be fully grown and his bones should be mature enough to hold the stress of running distances. That was what I was told by the vet..

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've heard 18 months also.
My boy loves to run. I just have to keep him focused at times. We run for 2 miles and he does very well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by fsufan:
Why 1.5 years?

Running with pups is a no no /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Especially with large breed dogs ... its environmentally induced Hip Dysplasia waiting to happen.
Their growth plates do not close until around 18 months, and any strenuous activity before that time can and definitely will place stress on the growing bones and joints. Especially with jogging, the dog is on lead and is running at your pace, which is extra harmful to the bones - my pups go hunting well before 18 mos, but the big difference is that they can go at their own pace. I also have them out for much, much shorter intervals than the adult hounds. Jogging with pups is such a joint ruiner that I and several other breeders I know negate the health guarantee if the owner does any strnuous activity with them before the majority of their growth is complete.
After 18 months, however, running with them is a GREAT way to keep a Beag in shape /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer is 3 and I just started running with him. Last summer, I brought him for 8km and he did great, kept up the whole time. Just be sure to be patient, they don't always know where to run at first. And yes, 18 months is the general rule to make sure not to cause too much strain before they are fully grown.

·
Registered
751 Posts
you can probably find the 18 month rule in books (2 puppy ones that I have), online, by talking to your trainer, or Vet. I have seen/hear 1.5 years and 18 months in/from all sources.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts