Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!
Please tell me, can beagle be a hunting dog? My husband is a hunter ( wild pigs for now only
) and he is dreaming of a hunting dog in future and his friends already offer him puppies from their dogs. But me myself I am dreaming of a beagle ( ones I saw film Cats&Dogs I fell in love with beagles), and once I showed him to my husband but he knows nothing about this breed so does not take it seriously). To my mind beagle is too sweet to make her hunting but I still hope that we will have a beagle than some other hunting breed....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
A lot of people around here have beagles for hunting , one of the families at school just replaced a beagle whose predecessor sadly was accidently shot at only 5 months old, it was a friend who shot it too . Some get lost too when they take them out bush to places they are unfamiliar with, risky for the beagles.
Not something I would do but that's me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about walks? How much can the walk? Sometimes they ( my husband and his friends walk for hours in the forest and once he told that one hunting dog ( a puppy actually ( but not a beagle) ) could not walk any more, fell down on the grass, and my husband carried him back to the village on his arms :)). Are beagles strong enough for long walks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
From my experience, our Beagle has a lot of stamina. She will run full speed at the dog park (being chased is a favourite game of hers) for well over 45 minutes. Now this could be because she's still young, but from what I've read, Beagles were bred for this kind of thing.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Someone else may correct me but I don't think beagles are used in the type of hunting work that is involved when hunting wild pigs.

They are scent hounds and are generally used to track small game. They are also used to hunt in packs, not generally as a single dog, if you research beagles and hunting you will find many pictures of a beagle pack on the hunt.

Where abouts do you live? I would contact your local beagle club and have a chat to them about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm sorry I explained wrong! He will not hunt for wild pigs with a beagle. He will hunt for birds with him...now he goes hunting with his friends who have dogs.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: JaneSmhmmm sorry I explained wrong! He will not hunt for wild pigs with a beagle. He will hunt for birds with him...now he goes hunting with his friends who have dogs.
Beagles aren't bird dogs - he's much better looking for a gundog, like a pointer, that are used and bred for hunting birds. Beagles are scenthound that scent from the ground whereas breeds like Pointers are bred to hunt 'higher up' for birds.

Maybe he can get one dog to hunt with and you can have a beagle for a pet?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Beagles aren't used as bird hunting dogs,and they hunt in packs. If you search on youtube and watch some videos you can get a better understanding of what it is Beagles do. But like Smeagle said your hubby could get his own hunting dog and you could get a beagle for your own pet

·
Registered
847 Posts
I can't imagine a beagle being a very good hunting dog if you're going to rely on sneaking up on your prey. Once a beagle locks in on a scent and the baying starts that would surely scare off any prey.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Beagles hunt for hares and rabbits. usually on the end of a long leash until they have sniffed one out, then they, in a pack, race after the victim making one hell of a noise.. They are not used for hunting birds.

·
Registered
991 Posts
We have a flock of geese at a nearby park and my trio are not the least bit interested in them. The geese are not to crazy about the beagles, but that is another story.

·
Registered
421 Posts
lemme tell ya -
my two beagles are expert hunter/trackers! why, just the other day i dropped a cookie crumb, a really tiny one, and they found it right away. there will never be stray french fries in our house again.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Originally Posted By: cheezyridrlemme tell ya -
my two beagles are expert hunter/trackers! why, just the other day i dropped a cookie crumb, a really tiny one, and they found it right away. there will never be stray french fries in our house again.
Haha My husband had his chocolate chip cookie tracked, hunted and destroyed today

·
Registered
350 Posts
bonnie and clydes brother is a good pointer (he is a beagle)
and i have watched bonnie and clyde point and flush a pheasant.
but it would take a lot of work to do it consistently.
i dont think they woule EVER retrieve.

but we hunt rabbits ALL the time.
even and 2;30 am on last wednesday when stupd clyde went ballistic out the front door and chased a rabbit 2 blocks up through all my neighbors yards howling the whole way......
arghhhh!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rabbits? Then I will advice beagles for our garden owners in the village. We have too many rabbits around and they eat pretty much vegs...by the way this night my husband brought one rabbit from there...and missed two ones. Maybe if he had a beagle he would be more lucky

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
A former coworker of mine had two German Shorthaired Pointers that were excellant bird dogs. He always took those dogs hunting with him.

Caesar loves to chase rabbits. My mother-in-law has a problem with rabbits eating her trees/shrubs. I told her to borrow Caesar for a few days...those rabbits won't come back!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Originally Posted By: Beagle Mom
Haha My husband had his chocolate chip cookie tracked, hunted and destroyed today

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here in Italy Beagles are used for hunting wild pigs, their task is to scent and track the boar down and then one group of hunters try and flush the boar down towards the guns.

It's not my kind of thing and I spend most of my time in winter trying to avoid the shooting groups when out walking (I live in a rural area) but I've sometimes come across them and have to say that the dogs look like they're having a whale of time though of course it can be dangerous.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts