Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to call a dog off a scent? I usually don't mind our beagle following a scent in the yard while we're outside, but sometimes it's not convenient (like when it's POURING RAIN, etc). I'll direct him another way and he just digs his paws in and tries to keep going HIS way and it's a fight to get him to follow me, let alone pee. Like I said, I normally don't mind since it's what beagles are meant for, but when it's pouring rain, freezing cold, we're in a hurry and have to be leaving to be somewhere on time, etc, I just wish he'd "turn off" the nose for a minute and do his business. Usually when he gets on a strong scent all thoughts of peeing are history anyway. So is it possible to train them to "snap out of it"?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, I was hoping one of you had the answer. We've had almost a week of solid rain (probably over 6" so far) and it never fails that when it's pouring he wants to snort and sniff and scour the ground in hunting mode, while we're both getting soaked and I just want to get back inside ASAP.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here's my beagle recalling off a scent :) She's not as 100% reliable as I'd like as I'm a lazy trainer but I know if I put the effort in she'd get to be totally reliable. She works off leash regularly and when she's training with me she's always very switched on and reliable.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I'm impressed, Smeagle! If that were my dog he'd turn and mock me then take off the other way, LOL.

Brandypup- I'm working on "leave it" right now. It's going much, MUCH better than I'd expected! I left treats and a cookie down for him to "leave" and he actually did! I didn't know he had the self control to resist food, LOL! I'm going to keep working on it and also greeting politely at the door. THAT one is much needed since he's over excited at guests.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I can view videios at work so forgive me if it's the same video but I found this today and thought about you.

great job with the leave it! it comes in real handy with a dead rodent or other ick stuff on walks! LOL

I am pretty luck boom isn't intrested in the door and he will try to sit for pets but his wiggle is so uncontrolable!

Teaching Rover to Race to You on Cue|Victoria Stilwell Positively

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried "leave it" last night to show my husband the progress I'd made and I used a chunk of a hamburger. He did not "leave it", LOL. His "leave it" training isn't strong enough so far to resist real meat. Treats and a cookie, yes, but not beef, he went running to it :run:. Gotta keep working, LOL.

·
Registered
532 Posts
For us, "leave it" really only works on our walks, when he picks up trash and "street food". I'm desperately trying to get him to learn it in the house too, so that he leaves the trash in the trash cans. That's more slow going.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I want mine to learn it so when our toddler absentmindedly sets down a snack on the coffee table or something, that it'll be there when he goes back. Tucker thinks it's open season on anything he can get to, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
5,373 Posts
Leave it was one thing I really had to train my greyhound well on because he was a therapy dog and I didn't want him picking up things from the floor like bandages, meds etc.

I have Molly fairly well trained to "leave it". Vazzy is SUPER scent focused, I am pretty sure she was trained to hunt. She acts almost like an alligator in the death roll if I try to stop her on a major sniff!

·
Registered
265 Posts
For us, "leave it" really only works on our walks, when he picks up trash and "street food". I'm desperately trying to get him to learn it in the house too, so that he leaves the trash in the trash cans. That's more slow going.
Mixer too! Her "leave it" and "drop it" on our walks is amazing (unless its something she REALLY wants)... but in the house forget it! It's like she has never heard the command before. I've really been working on her leave it, put a treat in my hand, tell her to leave it and when she does she gets a treat from the other hand (following Victoria Stillwells training for leave it). The problem.... once she leave the correct piece and gets her reward treat, she will immediately turn to eat the one still in my other hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We have been working on this one quite a bit with Sonic.

Sonic is quite good being off the lead, we did this from a young age in a local field, rewarding him for coming on call with a treat. The way we found best was for my son to hold the dog, while I ran to the other side of the field and call him. He came every time.

Now on our before bed walks, we do half the walk on a lead and half off when we are not in fields etc. Whilst on the lead, if he pulls off to the side to sniff something, I give him a tug and say leave. But it is a loudish clear signal. This works very well now when he is off the lead too, he generally walks to my side or a few paces in front, if he tries to go into someones drive or garden, I say "Leave" and he turns straight back to my side.

We also use the by me command, I took him on a 3 mile run down the beach the other day off the lead and he only stopped a few times to sniff things, "leave" and "by me" got him back in line straight away.

We are still learning, but it seems we are getting somewhere.

Andy

·
Registered
398 Posts
I can call my dog off a scent.

I have practiced since the day he came here at around 5ish weeks old. he is now 8 months old, and pretty darn perfect at it. As soon as his nose hits then, id call him, and reward him for coming. You need to be more intresting then the scent.

It also helps i have a rough collie(Blaze), and the beagle(soloman) wants to do what ever the collie does, so he is his shadow. And follows him all over. both are offleash daily hiking in the woods for hours with us. And both are 100% trustable to come when called. I reward both with a treat. I even give them random treats, if they run up to me for no reason other then to check in, they get a treat even if i dont call their names.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts