Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I came home at lunch and when Caesar walked across the living room to see me he was walking with a very obvious limp. I carried him outside down the back stairs and he just sat on the grass. I tossed a tennis ball across the yard and he stood up like he was going to run after it (like he usually would) but sat down instead. Now I was worried. I called the vet and got him an appointment for later that afternoon. He has loose knee caps to begin with and the vet said that he probably tried to jump on something, fell, and landed on his leg wrong. I don't know if any of you remember, but last month I was worried about him because he didn't jump or would hesitate to jump. I guess he's just a clutzy dog. Anyways, his vet told me that his knee cap had slipped off his knee but wasn't in a lot of pain, he just couldn't put pressure on it to walk. So we have to keep him rested for a few days. No running, jumping or walks and he'll be good as new. We're going to my brothers wedding this weekend in Calgary so we're taking Caesar to a kennel. He should get plenty of rest there because they don't socialize the dogs. My poor little guy, I think he goes to the doctor more than I do.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Ouch!!! Poor baby!! Will the kneecap slip back in place all by itself? Please give him a tummy rub for me and tell him Miss Shiloh says that being a couch potato is a lot of fun and he should practice being one till his knee heals! :biglaugh:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I do remember that you mentioned something about him not jumping as he used to... even crying a little when he tried to(?!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
Did you tell the vet about that? did he say it's related?
The kennel idea is good for his rest... I'm sure he'll be fine in no time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet slipped his knee cap back into place. She said that the ligiments (sp?) that hold the knee cap in place are not doing what they are supposed to be. She also said that it's common in smaller dogs. Plus the fact he's a little chunky doesn't help, but he has lost one pound in about a month. It's hard not to baby him, I pick him up and put him on the couch, or if he wants to jump from the loveseat to the sofa I'll pick him up and move him.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our first beagle, Bilbo, had this problem. She damaged the knee when running on a beach and slipped on shells. Eventually she had an operation as she kept gettng trouble with the knee. Hope Caesar recovers quickly.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Is that the same as a "luxating patella". Booker has that (and I've always loved the name)... the vet also called it a loose kneecap. Luckily it hasn't really seemed to cause her too much trouble - although as with everything else, keeping her weight down is important to make sure problems don't develop.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Casear! "Slipping a knee cap back in place" sounds painful. Enjoy the pampering, Caesar. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree Booker, my sisters rottweiler has the same problem and she is now scheduled for surgery next week. Princess is a 95 lb dog but im sure weight loss could help the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Poor Caesar! I would pamper him too. Feel better soon!

~Denise

(ps...love the avatar, Suzy's Momma).

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Caesar buddy,
It sounds like you had a major ouchie....and even if the vet said it wasn't.....milk it for all it's worth! Keep your mama pampering you as long as you can (and I'm sure she enjoys it too! I love babying my own four legged kids)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts