Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caesar had problems with his back left knee for a while now. Some of you might remember that he wouldn't jump on anything. The vet said that he was chubby and needed to lose wieght and hopefully that would ease the pressure on his knee. So we worked on it and he lost a couple of pounds. Still a bit of limp. So we added glucosamine to his diet to help build up the cartilage around his knee. And he's still limping. It gets worse at the end of the day, after a long walk, or when he gets up after sleeping. So we're going back to vet this afternoon to talk about it again. His vet said that if the weight loss and glucosamine didn't work he would need surgery. As much as I don't want him to have surgery I do want him to get better. Has anyone here had a similar experience? Also, Caesar was the runt of the litter. My mom said that runts usually have health problems. Does anyone else have a runt with health problems? (I hate the word "runt")

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I'm sorry you guys are having to go through this!
How old is Caesar?

Have you guys done a through examination of the pad of that paw to make sure there is nothing wrong with it?

Abby was the "runt" of her litter also, or so the breeder said. So far no health issues that we are aware of...She's almost 3 years.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caesar will be 2 in May. I'm hoping that surgery isn't neccessary. When we go today I'm going to ask for a full examination of his entire leg. There must be something else they can do. I just hate to see him limp all the time. I can even tell when he's favoring that leg by the sound of his walk.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally Posted By: BeagleBabeHave you gotten a second opinion?
No we haven't. We'll see what happens today, but I really do like this vet.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I dropped Caesar off at the vet's office this morning to get both his legs x-rayed. They're pretty sure it's his knee but they're going to check his hips too. They ruled out his toes. I guess I'll just have to wait now.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got the phone with vet. They took the x-rays and his patelas (sp?) are normal and his hips are great. However they did see some abnormal boney areas on his tibia and pelvis. The are going to send the x-rays to a surgeon for a consultation. We should hear back from him in about a week. They still don't know exactly why he is limping. Now I'm off to pick him up. They had to sedate him so he's groggy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Patella is the knee cap (I think). It's good that his are normal, as the hips.
I hope that whatever it is that causes the limk is easily traetable easily.

Feel better sweet Caesar... beagle hugs from Chloe and me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Prayers headed up, in the hope that Caesar will feel better soon; I'm sure they will figure out his problem.....

keep us posted

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I hope Caesar is doing better today Brandy. We'll keep him in our thoughts and prayers

Lots of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif from Abby

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hopefully since both his knees and his hips are okay it'll be an easier solution. Knees and hips are usually more serious and usually chronic...but I'm no expert or vet, just dogs I've known/helped restrain! LOL! I've worked with Henry's vet in the past....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts