Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...on the new sofa! I went home at lunch today, sat down to watch Maury, and noticed a big wet spot. I asked Shane what it was and he said that maybe Caesar was licking the sofa. (He does that sometimes) But this was too big for one of his sofa-tasting sessions. It was pee! So I got out the steam cleaner and hopefully it will be dry and pee free by the time I get home from work. But why is he doing this? It's completely new, he's never done this before. He wasn't home alone either. If he had to "go" all he needed to do was "tell" Shane to let him out. Any ideas? How do we stop him from doing this again?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Perhaps he was claiming the new sofa as his own?!

Was the pee on the side or top of the sofa? If it is on the side I do wonder if he was marking his territory - Moosie did just that the other day on our neighbour's white (of course) chair... I was mortified. If it is on the top of the sofa then I don't think he was marking it and I don't really have an answer - although could it perhaps have been involuntary if he had a small seizure or something like that (again, that has happened a couple of times with Moosie)?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Snoopy marks any new room he goes into, of course thats usually when we are visiting someone! Susi has accidents, she peed on a carpet the other day. I cant tell why it happens. Male dogs normally pee on the edge of furniture. Could Ceasar have peed in his sleep?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't on the side so I think we can rule out marking his territory. It was on the seat part and he peed on a blanket that was on the sofa which of coarse soaked through onto the sofa. Maybe he did pee in his sleep. I only know of one other time where he peed in his sleep. He was about 3 months old and had spent the day playing with my sisters dog and he was soooo tired. He fell asleep on the lazyboy and when I picked him up to put him in his kennel for the night I noticed that he was sleeping in a puddle of pee. Do dogs often pee in thier sleep?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I don't think I have an explanation, Charlie will do something like this over the night. He is 1 year and 4 months now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Poop too!
I'll say marking?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The first thought that comes to my mind is a possible urinary tract problem. If that's the case, he probably couldn't help it, and might not even been aware he'd peed. I haven't had this problem with my male dogs, but before Li'l Girl started taking PPA for her "leaking", she'd be completely unaware when she wet. It always happened when she was completely relaxed or sleeping.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has peed on the sofa before, on the sheet that covers it. She balled it right up while I watched and just let it go. She did this a couple of times on the bed as well. Our trainer told us it was a dominance thing and she was testing her boundaries with us. We didn't let her on the sofa or the bed for a few days afterwards to show her it wasn't going to work. She hasn't done it in a long time now. She also had a few accidents before we realized that she had a bladder control issue and started her on PPA. That would happen when she was relaxed and fast asleep. She never even knew it happened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts