Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and last week I got new tags for Caesar and Sox with our new address on it. I'm soooo glad I did that. The hing on our back gate is broken and it doesn't close all the way. So we closed it as far as it would go and folded up Caesars excercise pen and placed it against the fence to block the opening and keep it closed. Last Saturday night we were watching TV when the doorbell rang. I opened the door and there was a lady bent over holding Caesar by the collar. OMG!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I took Caesar from her and she said that she lives across the street and watched Caesar walk out of her neighbors back yard, walk across the street, up to someones front door, sniff it, then go to the next house. It's like he was sniffing the houses to see where we lived! I thanked her over and over but she also warned me that since we are on the edge of the city coyotes come into the streets and last year one of them killed a cat in the alley behind my house! Needless to say, Shane immediately took the hing off the gate and locked it up so that we just can't use it now until it's fixed. Then the next morning I saw another neighbor who said he was sitting in his living room the night before when he felt like he was being watched. He looked at the window and there's my dog, paws on the window staring at him.

I'm so glad that he didn't get far and that someone brought him home. Now everytime I let him out I get nervous that he has escaped again. I'm probably just paranoid though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Caesar, you naughty boy....Just exploring the new territory, I guess. Get him to pee around the entire yard....So he knows where home is. Good neighbors you have. We had one of ours bring Brandy home when she escaped one time. The only bad thing, they played with her for twenty minutes or so and meanwhile we were terrified and looking everywhere for her. I know you are relieved. Our mischevious beagles!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Brandy,

Glad there was a happy ending!

Name tags, not just rabies tags and microchips, work!

Hail Cesar! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not exactly how I wanted to meet our new neighbors, but it's an ice breaker.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Brandy -- I quickly looked to the end of your posting to make sure that Caesar returned home safely! Whew ... quite a scare! Extra hugs and treats tonight!

·
Registered
439 Posts
OMG! coyotes are very bad. they are known to kill small dogs and cats at any cost. never, i do mean NEVER take your eye off them for a second when they are out in the yard. coy's are very fast when it comes to snatching up their evenings meal.
i dont want to scare you here, but this is very serious. where there 1 coy spotted, theres several dozen hiden.
i belong to another forum, and a "friend" on there is hired by his town to hunt and kill coy's for that very reason. he takes several dozen per weekend. he says hes out numberd still.
im very educated on this issue via him, and reading up on them. they are over run by numbers in the country and are spreading to city limits looking for food. please please please, DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE DOGS WHEN THEY ARE OUTSIDE. a split second is all a coy needs. fix that fence now. coys are very smart. they will stalk a yard for days waiting for the right moment. they are very patient when it comes to a meal. they are very successful hunters.they can jump a fence as easy as you can jump a shoe box. they will not stop, they will not quit, until they are shot dead. i fought my friend for several months on this issue. he won. he was right. he sent me link after link, new story after news story about coys destroying entire live stock populations over night. taking over small communities everywhere and killing dogs,cats, whatever they could eat.
several story's too about attacks on small children. im not attempting to scare you, but this post is a very big RED ALERT. dont listen to the people saying "oh, its only happened once" or "yeah but it was a while back". listen to what im telling you, please.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A gentleman on another forum I frequent had his Yorkie out in the yard "on business" and with the man watching a coyote came out of the brush along the edge of the yard, grabbed the Yorkie and disappeared back into the brush. The guy ran back into the house, grabbed a rifle and started after them. No luck. He has a Jack Russell, too, and won't take her out without taking his rifle with him.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Brandy, I know this was scary for you, and I'm so glad Cesar's little adventure had a happy ending. But I had to smile at the mental picture of your neighbor finding a little beagle face looking in his front window! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
345 Posts
Man that is scary about the coyotes, but glad Caesar was alright! Thanks for the info on the coyotes, I live in the DC area so I don't know how prevalent they are here but we do take Fin camping with us in the summer.

I'm sure Caesar was just exploring his new stomping grounds and might have caught on to the scent of some good food! There's nothing getting in the way of the beagle nose and his tummy.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Silly Caesar! :nono5: Stop scaring your parents like that. Hopefully, he won't keep escaping! I'm so glad everything turned out ok though.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm glad you got him back and took care of the problem gate... :happyhappy:

We had a scare on sunday (in the pouring rain).

We were running back and forth outside trying to empty out our flooded garage and someone must have left the gate open. My husband turned around and there were no girls with him or in sight. So he started yelling "SIT" and within a few minutes both girls came running back into the yard. (they thought it was treat time)

·
Registered
308 Posts
So glad he is back home where he belongs!

That being said and living in a place where coyotes have as recently as 2 yrs ago killed dogs in our neighborhood, it is always a good reminder to watch your Pups.

Plus tomorrow I am going out to get new name tags for the girls, even though all our neighbors know my Girls. You never know where those noses will take them.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Ceaser :nono5: I know that you are in a new place but please don't scare your mommy and daddy like that ....

I too had to laugh at the thought of the neighbor being spied on by the beagle !!

·
Registered
439 Posts
john

glad you chimed in on the coy's.
i know my story sounds a little harsh, but actually its kinda mild compared to the facts about coy's. they breed like rabbits.
nasty creatures, though beautiful to look at.
they are known to hunt with a statagey.
my friend belongs to a group of hunters 15 strong.
they take turns on weekends hunting the coy's.
hes says their group needs to be about 3x that size before they even start to make a dent in the coy population.
so please folks, if coy's are in your area, be on guard at all times when your pup's and children are outside.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rick,
Do you think a coyote would attack Caesar if I was walking him? Or do they only attack dogs alone and off-leash. I'm just rethinking our walking paths if he's not safe having me with him.

·
Registered
439 Posts
coys are method hunters. if i were to guess, probably not. i would carry a blank gun(used to start races) with me as a noise maker if you should happen to see one. a coy will stake out an area and see if theres any fresh sents. if there is, he might hang out in the area for a few days just to see if the "sent maker" comes back.
just be careful ok. i would contact a vermin pest control company thats got experience in coy's.
see what they tell you. i can only go off what my hunter friend has told me. it took him a month of everyday pic's and explanations to convince me he was doing the right thing. i learned a lot from him. coys are very smart and cant be trusted.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ole Vinny escaped once and stayed gone for several hours. Exploring all the orange groves around our house I guess.

The experience must have scared him because he will go no further than the edge of our yard anymore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts