Our Beagle World Forums banner

Caesar Ate Chocolate!!!

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
He ate about 4lbs of chocolate chips! Shane wasn't working this morning and when he woke up there was rice and flour everywhere. The door to the pantry apparently wasn't closed and they got in and made a mess. It wasn't until Caesar stared wimpering, then crying at the door looking very ill and shaking that Shane knew something was wrong. Then BLAH, he vomited. So Shane looked around and found the almost empty Costco-sized bag of chocolate chips in his bed (a.k.a his nest). He called me at work and I called the vet's office, they said to bring him in ASAP! So I got home as fast as I could (Caesar vomited twice more), picked them up and off we go. I was crying the whole way home. He was looking better but still sick. They took him in immediatley while we waited. And that worried me the most. Why couldn't we go with him? Finally the vet came out and told us that they gave him something to induce more vomiting then they would give him charcoal to drink and they want to keep him a few hours for observation. So here I sit back at work, having a panic attack because I don't know how my little guy is doing. I know he's in good hands but I really want to see him. I'll call them in a little over a hour to see if I can come get him yet. And Emma is fine. The little piggy didn't let her get any chocolate.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I just phone the vet and they said that they just gave him the charcoal and I can pick him up in a half an hour. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think we'll be having a quiet evening. I hope he isn't scared being at the vet clinic. He's usually such a happy sociable guy but I'm sure this wasn't a happy experience.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
He's home now and at first he seemed to be dry heaving and coughing. The vet said that was normal and to give him a little bit of water. I think he coughed up some charcoal. I found a couple of spots that looked watery with black bits in it. They also recommended a bland diet, but Caesar is already on a bland diet of beef & rice so I gave him a small amount for dinner. The poor guy is starving! There is nothing in his belly and I won't fill his bowl. Little bits at a time. Right now he is sleeping in his bed but I'll keep a close eye on him tonight. I guess I can rest now too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.