Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He ate about 4lbs of chocolate chips! Shane wasn't working this morning and when he woke up there was rice and flour everywhere. The door to the pantry apparently wasn't closed and they got in and made a mess. It wasn't until Caesar stared wimpering, then crying at the door looking very ill and shaking that Shane knew something was wrong. Then BLAH, he vomited. So Shane looked around and found the almost empty Costco-sized bag of chocolate chips in his bed (a.k.a his nest). He called me at work and I called the vet's office, they said to bring him in ASAP! So I got home as fast as I could (Caesar vomited twice more), picked them up and off we go. I was crying the whole way home. He was looking better but still sick. They took him in immediatley while we waited. And that worried me the most. Why couldn't we go with him? Finally the vet came out and told us that they gave him something to induce more vomiting then they would give him charcoal to drink and they want to keep him a few hours for observation. So here I sit back at work, having a panic attack because I don't know how my little guy is doing. I know he's in good hands but I really want to see him. I'll call them in a little over a hour to see if I can come get him yet. And Emma is fine. The little piggy didn't let her get any chocolate.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,869 Posts
Brandy,

Have you heard anything? OMG when I read that he ate chocolate, I thought a piece or two. When I read how much he ate...wow!

I'm glad he vomited some of it up at home.

If it's anything like with people, the reason they probably didn't let you back with him was that they put a tube down into his tummy via his mouth to suck out whatever chocolate was still there then after it was emptied, used the same tube to put the liquid charcoal down. The tube is important and more annoying than painful but not a pretty sight to see.

Please let us know how he is doing asap.

~Denise
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Poor you, poor Caesar!! I had exactly the same reaction as Denise -- 4 lbs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif It is so scary when our pups get into stuff they shouldn't. Mags' worst event was when she slurped up a container of the stuff you put in your closet to keep out the mold/mildew. I called the Poison Control Center and then rushed him to the vet along with the container. They also called Poison Control to discuss antidotes -- they didn't want to induce vomiting as stuff would burn coming back up. Thankfully, that won't be a problem with Caesar. Don't be surprised to find black charcoal residue on his face -- it is a messy process. Please keep us updated and we are here for moral support!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Oh, that's so scary! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif When I read the heading to your post, I, too, thought maybe he'd eaten just a little. Four pounds!!! It doesn't seem possible he could eat that much! I'm sure the vomiting was a good thing, and will hope that you get encouraging news soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
Oh my gosh!! Poor Caesar. I hope he is doing o.k.It is so scary worrying about them when you have to wait for news. When Hunter got attacked on a walk, we had to wait until 3 a.m to here how her surgery went. The worst is not knowing, or being there to comfort them, but Just remember he is in good hands, and they know what they are doing. We will be wishing him a speedy recovery, and hope he is back to his beagle self soon. Please keep us posted and try not to worry to much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just phone the vet and they said that they just gave him the charcoal and I can pick him up in a half an hour. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think we'll be having a quiet evening. I hope he isn't scared being at the vet clinic. He's usually such a happy sociable guy but I'm sure this wasn't a happy experience.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Thank you so much for the update -- I wouldn't worry about Caesar being scared about the vet visit. I really think our pups instinctually know when someone is helping them feel better. After all the trauma Maggie has endured at the vet's office, she runs in to say "hello" to everyone. Caesar might well have a sensitive tummy for a while -- wonder if the vet won't give you some instructions re food for the next few days. Gentle hugs to Caesar!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He's home now and at first he seemed to be dry heaving and coughing. The vet said that was normal and to give him a little bit of water. I think he coughed up some charcoal. I found a couple of spots that looked watery with black bits in it. They also recommended a bland diet, but Caesar is already on a bland diet of beef & rice so I gave him a small amount for dinner. The poor guy is starving! There is nothing in his belly and I won't fill his bowl. Little bits at a time. Right now he is sleeping in his bed but I'll keep a close eye on him tonight. I guess I can rest now too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,869 Posts
Brandy,
I'm sure when Caesar see's you, he'll be so happy, he will forget about his vet experience.

So, so glad he is OK. A quiet evening is just what you all need.

~Denise
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
My heart dropped when I read your first post! Four pounds! Holy cow! I'm glad to hear that he's doing better now. I'm sure that some cuddles on the sofa tonight will make you both feel much better. Caesar you silly Beagle boy...you gave your momma' quite the scare. :nono5:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top