Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever we give Diggity a pig ear or any kind of rawhide, she runs off and burys it. She doesn't do this with any of her other treats/toys. Since these are both "formerly living" things, is she saving them or just playing mortician? Anyone else see this behaviour?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Absolutely!!
Chloe is exactly the same thing. She is burying "hard" treats all the time. It actually took her about 3 weeks to chew up a 5 inches bully stick. I discovered that when I found the leftovers....

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Sydney does this. She will sometimes chew a bone then when she is done with it, try to bury it in my couch. Spencer has only ever done it once as a pup and I haven't really seen him do it since.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Angel is the WORST I have about "burying" or "hiding" treats. She's been hiding "chewies" since she was big enough to grab one and run with it. She is so funny - we always laughed at her - she would "hide" a rawhide or bone and someone would follow her and "steal it". Every once in a while she'll bring in a "well-aged" treat from the yard.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Coool first time typing on this cool looking box.
Well, Charlie buries his greenie only, he doesn't know how to eat it or it is too precious to eat it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Charlie mom:
Coool first time typing on this cool looking box.
Well, Charlie buries his greenie only, he doesn't know how to eat it or it is too precious to eat it.
you talking about the quick reply?

I think you are right, i am so use to it being on OTHER forums that i didn't notices it here.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Boeing never buries anything, edible or inedible. If it's edible, he eats it; if it's not, he shreds it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
yup! Glover bury's all his pig's ears straightaway but I am sure when Im gone he digs them up and eats them up! I never see them again...

his bones too, he eats most of it, then bury's it, then digs it up again an brings it all proud and muddy to my lap... lol

x
K

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby does this all the time! She buries food and certain treats, I think at least, to save them for later.

She use to roll things with her nose into every single corner of the house she could access, and cover them with "invisible" dirt. Then, she got more inventive and started burying things in places like between my daughter's dresser and toy box, which she covered with a pair of socks, and in beds which she covered with blankets...imagine finding a half eaten, mushy, drool covered bone in your bed :pukey:

One time, just recently, I gave her a small, roundish treat and had one of those "What the....?!?!" moments when I came across it "buried" somewhere and couldn't figure out what it was right away. I picked it up, put it in her bowl and right away she picked it out and buried in the EXACT same spot, again. :lol2:

I am pretty sure she is not trying to dispose of them, because if she finds something she doesn't want to eat in her bowl she picks it out of the bowl and drops it on the floor.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i havent seen diesel dig yet but i think that is mostly because of the snow still piled up on the lawn... but he does hide things. we have a four wheeler outside and i am thinking when the snow melts and we move it i will find all sorts of things...but my yard is full of bushes and trees and stuff so he doesnt dig he just hides them in the middle of the bush..

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Back when Booker was an only dog she would either eat something right away or, if it passed what appeared to be an "I should save it for later" test, she would get all cloak and dagger and try to hide it for later - this was especially the case with pigs ears. Since we live in a condo she would simply put it in a corner or somewhere out of the way... but the funny thing was if she saw that you saw that she was hiding it she would just drop it then and there and leave it (it was almost like we had ruined it for her and she didn't want it any more at that point - or maybe she was leaving it for us!).

After Moose and then Popcorn came along Booker pretty much stopped doing this - I always thought it was because she knew her chances of getting it back later were lower and therefore few if any goodies passed the necessary test. Popcorn has never done it at all, but sometimes Moosie will go away and "hide" a treat rather than eating it right away - his favourite place is in the crease of the sofa behind a pillow. Then he goes and stands over the girls as they are eating theirs and tries to take them away... but I don't think he has ever been successful!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Mom of 2 Beagles:
Ours will bury Vanilla Waffers. That is just about the only thing they bury. Very strange.
That is hilarious! I love the uniqueness of beagles (beagles are like snowflakes...)!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Derby does this every now and then. A few days ago i tied him out in the yard and he found an orange peel and buried it lol.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Daisy did this from the beginning, but only with rawhide and greenies. I found them in a basket of clean undies, stuffed behind the pillows on the daybed and the best one, wet and soggy under my bed pillow when I went to bed one night. I laughed so hard! She always hates it when I discover her treasure and will go hide it somewhere else.

I gave up looking for them all. Of course, she buries all kinds of things outside. In fact, I'm hoping that come spring we'll find her plush Christmas present since she took off with it about 5 minutes after she got it. LOL!!!

Monica and "Sneaky Daisy" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
452 Posts
When Bailey was young and I gave her a pigs ear...she walked around with it crying and looking for a place to bury it or in a corner with the invisible dirt....It was the saddest thing I have ever seen....I quit giving them to her because it just seem soooo tramatic.....

·
Registered
324 Posts
If anyone,in the future,every digs up my front yard,they will probably label me a serial killer from all the bones buried here ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caesar will usually bury a pigs ear in the couch, or take a rawhide outside to bury. I took him over to a friends house for a play date with her Boston Terriers and Caesar stole one of the dog toys and tried to bury it in the yard before I stopped him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts