Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a video of Daisy burying her stuffed duck Stanley. There is something wrong with the sound so I suggest turning the sound all the way down on your ocmputer.

burying Stanley

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
OMG, Chloe does the exact same thing. All the time, with all of her toys (especially new ones and some of the treats).

Does Daisy get nose/rug burn doing it?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Great video. Beagle #1, Bama, does that all the time, and current Beagle Vinny, does it some.

Now the why. It dates back to before dogs were domesicated. The theory is, a member of the pack would take part of a kill and hide it from other members of the pack. They did this by burying it. In times when food was hard to come by, this pack member would dig up the buried treasure and chow down.

So what we are all witnessing when our buddies do this is 100's of genearations of self preservation turned into instinct.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haven't noticed any rug burn or anything like that...all the cute and quirky things she used to do all the time at the apartment in GA has dwindled down to once in awhile here in FL...might have something to do with going from an apartment with a lot of carpet to a house with a lot of wood flooring

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
That was fun to watch. Maggie would have never buried that duck, she would have opened it up and started ripping out the stuffing within minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
That is so cute! My Maggie loves to 'bury' her toys too. Her favorite spot is my bed...she'll pull down the comforter and bury things under the pillow or under my sheets. It's amazing what I find in bed with me some nights! LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts