Our Beagle World Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey Guys -

I'm back again. I'm not sure if I'm looking into it too much or if it's getting bigger, but my mom and niece noticed the bump during their last visit and I'm concerned it's growing. I'm considering going to another doctor for a second opinion.

It's very firm and doesn't move - it doesn't bother him when I move/push it so I'm wondering what I should do?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,832 Posts
It does appear larger than your previous pictures. Good that you're going for another opinion. Does the dog have any discomfort when it's touched?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,971 Posts
Definitely get it checked. Ask if it should be removed. Even if it isn't cancer, tumors can be problems. I had a collie mix many years ago. She had a fatty tumor near her shoulder. The vet said it was OK, but it kept growing. Eventually, it grew to the point it was painful and interfered with walking. The vet said it was inoperable, at that point, unless we had her leg amputated. She was a 15 year old dog by then and I was not going to put her through that. I always wondered why they didn't remove it, when it was smaller.

I felt guilty, because I did not realize it was as bad as it was. I was 21, single and living with my parents, when we got her. She was our family dog. I had married, moved out, and had kids, by the time she was sick. I wasn't there. I didn't know. I think my father was too attached to her and too close to the situation to realize it had gotten to that point.

I'm not trying to scare you. The fatty lump on your dog, does not appear to be in a place that it would cause problems. I just want to warn you to keep a close watch on it. If it needs to be removed, do it while it is small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Ok - so the second Doctor definitely scared me to start and wanted to do a bunch of stuff. First they wanted to do an Ultrasound, then a fine needle biopsy, but they wanted to send that biopsy to an outside agency which costs a lot of money.

So then I asked if they could do a fine needle biopsy there and she basically said yes, but that it wouldn't be as accurate as sending it away. She then did two or three fine needle biopsies from the area and took everything back to review. The next day I was told that it was lipoma (which is great) but that it could definitely keep growing.

So the good news is it's not malignant - and I've had two separate doctors and trust that feedback. Just wondering what I should do since it's getting bigger. Continue to monitor?

I don't want to do anything invasive but the second Doctor reccomended we do an ultrasound to see how deep it goes, possible removal, or Chinese herbs?

Any advice on what I should do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,832 Posts
Consider your options. If you wait to have it removed it could grow much bigger and be more difficult to remove and cost more; another option is to remove it now while it's less of an issue and less expensive or painful for your dog.
I'm not sure why you think Chinese herbs would cure it...you have to be careful what you give the dog which could be toxic to animals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Yeah, I would pass on the homeopathy as well. No reason to believe it will do anything other than wishful thinking

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on doing the Chinese herbs - it was just an option the Doctor reccomended.

My first vet says to let it stay as is and it will most likely grow - but shouldn't be messed with. The second vet is the one who wants to do the Ultrasound ($350) to see how deep it goes and to see if surgery is necessary.

I love my pups - just not sure what the best decision is. He's in zero discomfort so I would hate to be invasive - but there's also the chance it becomes an issue in the future.

Thought decisions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,832 Posts
It's not an emergency so you have time to think about what to do or save up for the us. Watch it for changes in size.
 
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Top