Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone -

I have a 6 year old beagle who's in great shape and very active. He's a healthy dog and hasn't had any issues in life so far (thank God).

We shaved him a week ago and noticed a bump/lump on his lower right back side tonight (right above his butt).

It feels very firm (almost like muscle) but there's not a similar bump/lump on the left side. We scheduled a veterinarians appointment for next week but I wanted to see if anyone has feedback/thoughts on what this could be.

I know dogs aren't going to be completely symmetrical, but I'm definitely concerned about this. He's acting completely normal and if we wouldn't have shaved him we probably wouldn't have noticed.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
Beagles tend to be lump dogs, pretty much all of my beagles have had lump and bumps that were harmless. Always good to get a vet check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beagles tend to be lump dogs, pretty much all of my beagles have had lump and bumps that were harmless. Always good to get a vet check.
Thanks. Yes - in total we've owned 4 beagles (these are 3 and 4) and they've always developed fatty (moveable) type bumps.

This is very firm which is a little concerning...I sometimes think it's a muscle but then I want to be pro-active.

Are there any particular tests I should recommend at the vet? X-Ray or Biopsy?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Thanks. Yes - in total we've owned 4 beagles (these are 3 and 4) and they've always developed fatty (moveable) type bumps.

This is very firm which is a little concerning...I sometimes think it's a muscle but then I want to be pro-active.

Are there any particular tests I should recommend at the vet? X-Ray or Biopsy?
I'd go for a biopsy for sure.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Hmm, does it feel like a movable encapsulated lump? You have to be careful with biopsies with the potential to spread cancer cells.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, does it feel like a movable encapsulated lump? You have to be careful with biopsies with the potential to spread cancer cells.
It's actually very firm. I mean it feels like it's supposed to be there and that it's connected to something (like a muscle).

How should I recommend doing the biopsy so nothing is spread? Do they do a fine needle biopsy or actually get in there and cut it out?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
It's actually very firm. I mean it feels like it's supposed to be there and that it's connected to something (like a muscle).

How should I recommend doing the biopsy so nothing is spread? Do they do a fine needle biopsy or actually get in there and cut it out?
It could be a fat blob. Personally I would start with an xray before doing anything invasive. Have a good discussion with the vet, it's not an emergency unless you see it growing suddenly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It could be a fat blob. Personally I would start with an xray before doing anything invasive. Have a good discussion with the vet, it's not an emergency unless you see it growing suddenly.
Could a fat blob feel that firm?

I'm trying to find pictures and I don't have a good view of his back in anything (since we normally take them when he's facing us).

I've never noticed this so it has me worried that this is growing fast. So an XRay could determine if it's a muscle (supposed to be there) or tumor like material?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Do you have a good relationship with your vet? Do you trust him/her? If so, take your dog and get the vets' opinion. He may feel it is nothing and you do not need to worry. He may feel tests are necessary and give you your options. Just take him in and get him checked out. You will feel better.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
But for most cancers the only way to make a diagnosis is by performing a biopsy to collect cells and have a closer look, the x-rays alone only detect areas of abnormality can't tell if it's cancer or not, but the vet alone just by touching can tell a lot if it's an experienced vet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
But for most cancers the only way to make a diagnosis is by performing a biopsy to collect cells and have a closer look, the x-rays alone only detect areas of abnormality can't tell if it's cancer or not, but the vet alone just by touching can tell a lot if it's an experienced vet.
They said the vet will definitely feel it and possibly take a fine needle biopsy depending on everything.

So I trust the doctor at my vet but he isn't available for 2 weeks. I'll be visiting another doctor at the same vet that has helped us one time before and really helped our beagle when she had a pre-bloat issue.

I definitely feel more comfortable with my main vet but don't want to wait two weeks and this guy has helped us before and has 20 years at the place we go to.

Anything else I can ask or just wait and see?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Honestly, I think I would just trust the vet with 20 years experience. We would just be guessing. Listen to what he says. Ask for clarification on anything you do not understand.

How soon is your appointment? Please keep us posted. I'll be praying for your pup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you so much. Yes - they both have 20 years, so I guess I'll trust the guy who can get us in sooner and ask the right questions.

Appreciate your prayers, we're going in Thursday!

And lastly - this feels pretty firm and doesn't move. Like I said, it could be his muscles (normal) but how do larger cancerous bumps normally feel? Any tell tale signs of cancerous lumps?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, Natty Boh had a lumpy spot on his side. It was just fat. It was pretty firm, as I remember. Made me feel better to have the vet check it out.

Hopefully, it is the same for your boy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If it makes you feel any better, Natty Boh had a lumpy spot on his side. It was just fat. It was pretty firm, as I remember. Made me feel better to have the vet check it out.

Hopefully, it is the same for your boy.
Thank God it's a fatty tumor in/behind the muscle. That's why it felt so firm.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts